Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Big Problem, My Monitor isn't getting a signal anymore to my MoBo

• Please log in to reply

Slayer21

Slayer21

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I just recently (like an hour ago), replaced two 256MB PC2100 DDR RAM Chips, for two 1GB PC2100 DDR RAM Chips. The upgrade went easily no hassle (used anti static strap) and no problems there. I went and plugged everything in and the monitor says "No Signal" when I plug it in. I opened the case up and everything seemed to be running fine (except for my fan that has had some noise for awhile and my PSU fan isn't working as usual). The fans were all moving, still the same flashing lights, etc. I have tried different outlets, methods, and so on, but cannot seem to get anything to work at all.

My Motherboard is a VIA U8668R20-D
My Monitor is an Acer 22' Flat Screen (VGA)

Thank You in Advance! I really need this computer working ASAP.

UPDATE: I have tried 2 monitors, both no signal on both VGA ports.

UPDATE 2: I plugged it back in and tried to Open the CD case to see if it is a PSU problem and the DVD drive barely opened half-way and my CD drive wouldn't even open. Maybe the PSU went bad? (The fan as i said hasn't worked for awhile).

Thanks,
Chris

Edited by Slayer21, 27 February 2008 - 06:52 PM.

Advertisements

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Its possible that you Overloaded your PSU.

Try putting the 2 chips back and see what happens.

Are you using Onboard Video or do you have a seperate card?

how much wattage does your PSU have?

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
im using an ATI Radeon 9800
and i believe its a 500 Watter
I'll try that really quick

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Is the new RAM high density (all memory chips are on one side of the module)? If so, this is your problem, as your motherboard only supports low density (memory chips on both sides of the module) 1GB modules.

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
they are on both sides, it is the PSU i found out because i loaded up one of the sticks and one of my current sticks and it worked fine, but now it says windows isn't starting up correctly and will not let me get passed the choose which way to open screen.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
let me get this straight.

your getting to the which windows version to select screen with:

1 256MB
1 1GB

~~~~~~
What do you mean when you say "windows isn't starting up correctly?"

You say your PSU fan died long ago?
thats not good :)

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 27 February 2008 - 08:19 PM.

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
like it's saying it's last boot wasn't successful and asks me how i want to boot but when i select the boot method, it instantly freezes on that spot never to move. i put the old RAM back in and this randomly happened. talked to one of my local tech friends and he said i have to completely reformat and move on. oh and also get a new psu ;]