Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

purchasing a computer, what do you thin k

• Please log in to reply

jwall2004

jwall2004

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, i am about to purchase a computer from someone and i wanted to run it by you guys to see what you think about it.
going to be doing some gaming and then the normal computer web and office stuff.
he built this hisself about 9 months ago. i sat down and test drove it and everything seemed to work good. Played world in crycis game and it ran great (had vista on it then)
here is what is included.
20"wide screen monitor.
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 2.13GHz
Gigabyte Motheboard 965P-S3 (onboard audio, network, RAID 0+1)
2GB of DDR2 800MHz RAM (Dual Channel)
BFG Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS (DirectX 10 card!)
Two SATA 300 Seagate 250GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache HDs (currently RAID 0 for performance)
Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1
Linksys Wireless PCI Network Card
Linksys Wireless router
Antec Power Supply (550w i think)
Antec 900 Gaming Case with 5 fans (Two Front, One Back, One Top)
standard key board and mouse
5.1 surround sound speakers
head phones (not sure what kind, but he said he paid 60 for them, listened to music on them,sounded good)
and about 14 pc games.
windows xp (did have vista but he put xp on it, personally i like xp better)

for a total price of $500

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
For what you get, that is a very good price. A few things to keep in mind:
  • If you play recent games and you like playing with all the eye-candy on, you might want to upgrade the graphics card.
  • Only Vista can utilize DirectX 10.
But anyways, I would definitely get it as long as you trust the seller.

jwall2004

jwall2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
the only recent game that i play which is not that recent is Medieval 2 total war, would i be able to set the graphics on high with this system to play that game?
Was thinking about doing a little oc on the processor to.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

the only recent game that i play which is not that recent is Medieval 2 total war, would i be able to set the graphics on high with this system to play that game?

I would think so, as my old GeForce 6600 could play Rome: Total War on mostly high, and I think Medieval 2: Total War uses a modified version of Rome: Total War's graphics engine.

Was thinking about doing a little oc on the processor to.

You should have no problems with a minor overclock on this setup. However, as with all setups, if you plan on doing more serious overclocking, you are probably going to want to ditch the stock cooler and get a good after-market heatsink and fan.

Edited by stettybet0, 27 February 2008 - 09:35 PM.