Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer starting over and over

• Please log in to reply

charles97

charles97

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi, i just bought a brand new Belkin N wireless router, model F5D8233-4, and i am having issues with it. I set it up as directed on my wired computer where the modem is, and i put in the disc that came with it and i completed set up. Then i went to the computer that the router is supporting, the unwired one, and it started to restart all by itself. When it gets to the log in screen, where u choose who to log in with the name and the password for that user, the screen turns black, and begins to restart again immediately. I watched it do this for a good 10 minutes, it never stopped, just kept restarting at the same point over and over.

Now i am new to "N" technology for routers, do i first need a software upgrade to use it?
I also heard that 2 firewalls can cause a system to crash, and maybe the computer is getting a firewall signal from the router and the computers own firewall?

For clarification, i unplugged the router and my computer worked fine after that. It only restarts over and over when the new router is plugged in.

Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!

Charles

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

For clarification, i unplugged the router and my computer worked fine after that. It only restarts over and over when the new router is plugged in.

as in plugged into the wall? not the computer right? the computer that's having issues has no direct connection to the router correct?

with the router off....start the problem computer up and disable the wireless card....you've either got a hardware switch (as in a physical switch that you can turn off) or a software switch (as in a combination of keys to press to turn the radio off) or both....then turn the router back on and see if your computer restarts again

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
If the wireless card is using its own utility, and windows is trying to use the built in utility, than there is a software conflict going on.
can you tell me the make and model number of the computer?
I would like to know what kind of wireless adapter is being used.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Try turning off windows wireless utility.
  • Click the start button.
  • Select run.
  • Type services.msc
  • look for it in the Services list.
  • Double click to access its properties ("Wireless Zero Configuration")
  • set the startup mode to disabled and reboot

charles97

charles97

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I tried all this stuff but couldnt get it to work properly, but the second post said it could be a software issue and that gave me an idea. So i looked for updates and found a recent update for the router and that actually fixed the problem! I guess the original software was conflicting with my system and the update resolved the issue. So its all fixed, thanks again!

Charles