Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Escape AOL?

• Please log in to reply

max38260

max38260

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am trying to change from AOL dial up to a cable internet provider and find it next to impossible. AOL is intertwined all through my computer and
hope I don't have to chew my leg off to escape AOL... Please Help if you can. Thank you in advance, Max. :)

Edited by max38260, 28 February 2008 - 12:24 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
if it's AOL Version 10, also known as AOL Desktop Version 2.7.11.1, there's a removal file here:
http://www.yousendit...D7601DE26321EB9

download the file, check it for any malware infection using right-click menu -- if it comes up clean double-click it.

If you have a different version of AOL installed or the removal file doesn't work, you have two option:

1. backup all your documents, emails etc. to a different drive or cd-r, then re-install Windows.

2. manually track down any AOL folders in C:\Program Files and delete them, install 'Startup Control Panel' and disable/delete any entries which obviously belong to AOL, get SCP here: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
Last but not least, open the Registry Editor and in the left pane delete any keys obviously related to AOL under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software

Wait! before you edit/remove anything from the Registry you should create a manual restore point using System Restore, just in case you remove something by accident that should not have been.

Edited by pip22, 28 February 2008 - 04:31 AM.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i had an AOL broadband package a while ago, i had to format to get rid of it

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first try the add remove programs in the control panel...then click on your C: drive in mycomputer...programs folder..find the AOL folder...right click on it and then delete...next look for a AOD folder..open it and you will find AOL again...I personally just delete the whole AOD folder but you can just remove the AOL sub folder..if your scared...