Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Game/s Server

• Please log in to reply

gordey0

gordey0

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey Guys,

I am looking at building a "Game/s Server" for use with Counter-Strike 1.6, Counter-Strike: Source, Team Fortress, Half-Life, Battlefield, etc, etc.

What I would like to know is what hardware I would need to aquire to make a super dooper awesome server, money is no limit as a server is needed for the clan I am part of.

Would I be running Windows or Linux? I know of next to nothing about Linux, but I am willing to learn about Linux if need be.

I would also like to have the option of playing the game/admining on the server too if that is possible.

If anyone could help me with specifications and soforth, please reply! :)

Thanks,

Matt.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi and in case someone hasn't said so already, WELCOME TO GEEKSTOGO!!!

For a server it all depends on what kind of knowledge you have about hosting games. I wouldn't suggest getting into Linux if you don't have the background in windows to run a server, since it can be very time consuming to learn Linux. I also recommend getting one CPU instead of two, since games are not that CPU demanding, a quad core will probably do you good. I have made a quick low as possible in budget rig that should be sufficient, and if not then others can comment on it to improve it:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L - $89.99
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - $254.99
Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 - $44.99
Power Supply: Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W - $109.99
Video Card: XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 - $239.99
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s - $104.99
Case: Antec Nine Hundred - $99.99
DVD Burner: SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R Model SH-S203B - $29.99

Total = $974.92

Okay for the video card you can go with a better one if you want but that should be fine. I don't see a need for an army of Raptors since I don't think games require that much speed. The case I just threw in there you can change it to anything you want, I would suggest something cheaper since its a server and doesn't require that much looks.

Hope that helps!

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 01 March 2008 - 11:10 PM.

gordey0

gordey0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay, thanks a lot for the information.

Will look at buying it now.

Thanks again,

Matt

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
If you need any help setting up the server the guys in the games forum which can be found HERE can help you out, just make a new thread like this one, I may be able to help you but I only play a few games and therefore am not the best to ask.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
That's overkill for a server. A quad core CPU would NEVER be needed for a server.
Much better PSU's can be found for a similar price point.
You'd never require 500GB for a server, I'd get a much smaller drive.
Take a look at the CM 690 from coolmaster for your case, it's better then the Antec900.
Again, a 8800GT would NEVER be needed for a server, onboard would be sufficiant.

The build Soorena suggested is more of a gaming rig suggestion then a suggestion for a server :)
James

Edited by james_8970, 02 March 2008 - 04:19 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

That's overkill for a server. A quad core CPU would NEVER be needed for a server.
Much better PSU's can be found for a similar price point.
You'd never require 500GB for a server, I'd get a much smaller drive.
Take a look at the CM 690 from coolmaster for your case, it's better then the Antec900.
Again, a 8800GT would NEVER be needed for a server, onboard would be sufficiant.

The build Soorena suggested is more of a gaming rig suggestion then a suggestion for a server :)
James

Yea I noticed what you mean however he mentioned he'll be gaming on it sometimes so I sorta was at doubt on what to put, plus with the unlimited budget you can never have too much, lol.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
gordey0, do you want to run this as a server or as a gaming machine? I'm not aware of it being possible to game on the same machine that is being used as a server for a gaming room.
James