Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Finished my upgrade!

• Please log in to reply

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I finished my rebuild last night and it went without a hitch! I upgraded from a pentium d 930 to a Q6600 and man is this beast fast now! I also upgraded from xp mce 05' to vista ultimate. I must say shame on the vista bashers out there! This O.S. rocks!!! I think people are trying to run vista on crap machines. I knew I would have to upgrade before I even tried vista but I started getting really scared about this O.S. because of peoples mouths running! This post is for anyone thinking of running vista if your box is more than a year old spend $700 and upgrade or you will be a basher to! :)

Advertisements

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i agree, if you have a decent machine then vista is the best OS out :)

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

I finished my rebuild last night and it went without a hitch! I upgraded from a pentium d 930 to a Q6600 and man is this beast fast now! I also upgraded from xp mce 05' to vista ultimate. I must say shame on the vista bashers out there! This O.S. rocks!!! I think people are trying to run vista on crap machines. I knew I would have to upgrade before I even tried vista but I started getting really scared about this O.S. because of peoples mouths running! This post is for anyone thinking of running vista if your box is more than a year old spend $700 and upgrade or you will be a basher to! :)

reason people have been bashing VISTA is because the lack of support for some oldish hardware. and other software compatablitiy issues. No doubt after Vista SP1, Vista will be alot better.

I myself will be upgrading to VISTA in a few month.

Have fun with your system XD

jch82

jch82

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit because I'm running 8GB of DDR2 ram and it is a great OS. I was VERY skeptical at first but really wanted to take advantage of all 8gb of RAM I had purchased. Running the minimum requirements or less than the minimum for Vista is definitely asking for trouble. I am very pleased so far though.

Josh

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

No doubt after Vista SP1, Vista will be alot better.

Vista SP1 won't significantly change much. I doubt any user will notice much of a difference. A this point it only appears as if it'll raise consumer confidence over the OS.
James

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, SP1 seems to have addressed quite a few stability issues I've encountered while running Vista on some older hardware. I've been running several machines on the final release (released early to MVP's) and have noticed a significant improvement in both performance and stability where older equipment is involved. It's not as noticeable on my main machine, which was built for Vista and has never had problems running it.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Actually, SP1 seems to have addressed quite a few stability issues I've encountered while running Vista on some older hardware. I've been running several machines on the final release (released early to MVP's) and have noticed a significant improvement in both performance and stability where older equipment is involved. It's not as noticeable on my main machine, which was built for Vista and has never had problems running it.

I have read numerous reviews on it and the majority of which are more modern machines, so that were I'm getting my opinion from, I find there are few that use older machines when they review this OS. I've seen mixed results with it, from some experiencing nothing to others praising it, but as you said, the majority were also modern computers built for Vista and the future in mind. Though, so far I have heard two things about it that seem to over rule everything else.
1. It's supposed to fight piracy.
2. It's basically just bundling up all the hotfixes and updates already available. In which case, one could argue that it's really not going to be better then what's already out there (assuming you have downloaded the mounds of stuff out there).

Then others say that it's changing the code for the entire kernal of the OS, which I remain doubtful. Either way, if this makes Vista better I'm all for it, even though I have yet to encounter any OS stability issues that wasn't related to my overclocking.
James

Edited by james_8970, 01 March 2008 - 02:06 PM.

frankthetank

frankthetank

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I think Vista as of now isn't the best OS to have. The reason why is lack of support for hardware. But I'm planning on upgrading to Vista when SP1 is out and ready to go.