Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

was infected by TROJ-KILLAV-NB, now clean but IE is stuck

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
i had some troubles with trojans and posted last week in the "malware removal - hijacthis log" forum.
Rorshach112 of the malware staff kindly assisted me and i followed the whole procedure he suggested, which can be viewed in detail in my previous post

this sure cleaned something in my pc, but unfortunately i still have problems. Rorshach112 said they are not malware related though and i should better post here....
the situation is now the following:

i see a remote connection window at start up (which is not supposed to be there and has been there since problems started last week). if i happen to click 'ok' on it, a spurious internet connection appears under "network connections".

internet browser gets stuck when i try to open it, when i checked Task manager to shut IEXPLORE down i noticed two instances of the same process: PowerKey.exe (which i always see in a "terminate window" at pc shutdown). i killed both processes and then Internet browser opened fine.

i rebooted and PowerKey.exe process (which should be a process related to ACER pc keyboard) was not there anymore, tried to open IE and its stuck once again, i open Task manager and this time i notice 2 instances of GoogleToolBarNotifier.exe, i kill them and IE runs fine...

everytime i shut down i see a "terminate window" trying to shut an application down, sometimes its Powerkey.exe, or GoogleToolBarNotifier.exe, or WButton.exe or "some numbers".exe...

can anybody help me in fixing this?
several logs are posted in my other post, which will provide info about my pc configuration,but i will gladly provide any further information needed.

Thank you in advance!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Enter msconfig and click Startup in Normal mode. Uncheck everything except for antimalware programs and reboot. Let us know if you still have anything related to Remote Connection at Startup. If yes, Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Double click the service and choose to run it manually.

2: Try to repair Internet Explorer (you will need XP cd for that). Run a search for ie.inf. It should be found in c:\windows\inf. Right click the file, while in the Search option, and choose install. This will repair IE.