Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no power to my computer. motherboard or processor?

• Please log in to reply

Loz_grain

Loz_grain

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, thanks in advance for any advice given.

Last night I turned off my pc, it was working fine. this morning i tried to turn it back on and nothing, no tower light, no fan at the back, no beeping. I do have a light on the motherboard tho, I have an asus m2v-mx se, and amd athalon dual core processor. my brother said ihad a 24 pin socket plugged in plus the extra 4 pin atx power lead which should not have been plugged in, and may have caused the problem. what do you think has fried - processor, motherboard or both (or somthing else?)

Loz

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
IF a motherboard has connections for both a 24 pin power connector and a 4 pin CPU connector it would tell me that both need to be connected for it to work.The 4 extra pins on a 24 pin connector are for Ground-+3.3 volt-+5 volt and +12 volt.
Heres a article on why they went to 24 pin connectors. All my computers have both the 24 pin and 4 pin connectors plugged into the motherboard.

http://compreviews.a...P2EPSTour_5.htm

No beeps , fans or lights tells me you power supply had probably died. The first thing i would replace is the power supply. If that is not the problem then the next step is replacing the memory, CPU, and motherboard in that order. Sorry but most troubleshooting is done by trial and error as most test equipment is too expensive for the average home owner to buy to test the hardware. That is why i get a lot of people buying from me where i live. I do have the test equipment and spare parts to test with. I don't charge anything to test hardware for people. They usually come back and buy upgrades and hardware later on from me. It keeps my small shop in the black here.

SRX660

Loz_grain

Loz_grain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
you are right srx660, using my girlfreinds computer i hooked up the power supply off of hers to my motherboard, and hey presto it worked, now to solve the riddle of the power supply. thanks for your help, I was about to buy a new motherboard!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Factory computer come with the cheapest PS's known to man. Heres a good one that will last a long time.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817703011

SRX660

Loz_grain

Loz_grain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Also, if anyone else has a problem like this, there are ways to test/troulble shoot yourself, I was able to test my mother board using another pc power supply, and my proccessor on a neighbours computer. so identified the power supply as the problem, those two basic tests will show wether motherboard/processor or power supply has fried.

I have just picked up a free power unit from a freind's old comp, and now have a working pc, without forking out any $

I am made up!