Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open excel docs over a Network

• Please log in to reply

samgood8

samgood8

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My Pc is on a network of 3. There is a shared documents folder on one of the other computers that contains all word docs, excel docs, photos etc that we can all access. I have never had a problem opening anything in the folder until yesterday. I can open Word files fine, but every time I try to open an excel file I get the following error message : "Windows cannot find '\\JULIE\Shared Documents\Figures\Business Card\Business Card 07-08.xls' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." However if I open the application Excel and then click file, open, and select the document I want, It opens! Whats going on?! I need to access files through the shared folder as it it so long winded to do it the other way. Can anybody help me?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how do you get to the shared folder in the first place? do you go through "my network places"?

try mappiing the shared drive to your comoputer:

open "my computer" click tools on the menu button, then choose "map a network drive" choose an unused drive letter, type "\\JULIE\Shared Documents\" (without the quotes) in the folder box, click the "reconnect at logon" box and press finish....it's probably going to ask for a username and password put julie\(a user that exists on julie that has access to the folder0 as the user...then that user's password

now that folder will show up in your my computer list as if it were a local hard drive....try to open an excell doc now

samgood8

samgood8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks - OK - tried that but it's still coming up with the same error message. The folder is located on the main computer (Julie) "C:\Documents and Settings\Julie\My Documents" I access it through the network - a shortcut on my desktop - Target "\\JULIE\Shared Documents"

Does this help at all? It's really strange how I have no problem opening the Word files, only excel!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
after you mapped the drive....did you still try to access it through the shortcut on your desktop? or did you open up the mapped drive in my computer and navigate to the file?

samgood8

samgood8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I opened up the mapped drive in My Computer - "Shared Documents (\\Julie) (Z:)" and navigated through that - again word Documents opened but Excel did not. Wierd huh?!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
weirds indeed!

open up excell (or any office program) click on help, then choose "detect and repair" put a check in both checkboxes and press ok....it will tell you that an office program is open...so close excell and press ok....this will probably take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes to run

once it's done try again

samgood8

samgood8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'v clicked on Help but these are the only option I have: (this is in Excel 2007)

What's new, Getting help,
Installing, Activating Excel,
Customizing, Accessibility,
File conversion and compatibility, Saving and printing
Workbook management, Worksheet and Excel table basics,
Forms, Formula and name basics,
Function reference,
Filtering, sorting, and conditionally formatting data,
Summarizing, consolidating, and outlining data,
Validating data
Importing data, PivotTable reports and PivotChart reports
What-if analysis, Working with XML
Charts, Security and privacy
Macros, Excel and the Web
Automation and programmability, Working in a different language
Add-ins, Working with graphics
Publishing to SharePoint Server Excel Services,
Collaboration
Exchanging data with other programs,
Working with other programs
Quizzes, Excel Demos
Glossary, &
Training

I can't see 'Detect and Repair' Would it be anywhere else?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
my fault, i assumed it was 2003 for some reason....

Help: Detect and Repair…
Description: The Detect and Repair… option on the Help menu is no longer available in the 2007 Office release, and has been replaced by Repair.

Reason for change:Repair is now more robust and integrated.

Migration path: Users can use Repair through the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs for Office products, or Customer Watson Setup Diagnostics.

they removed the detect and repair option

How to repair problems in installed 2007 Office programs and features
You can use either of the following methods to detect and to repair problems that are associated with installed Microsoft Office programs and features, such as registry settings and missing installation files. You cannot use these methods to repair personal files, such as worksheets or templates.
Method 1: Run Office Diagnostics from a 2007 Office program
1. Start the Office Diagnostics tool. To do this, use either of the following methods:• For a menu-based 2007 Office program, click Office Diagnostics on the Help menu.
• For a ribbon-based 2007 Office program, follow these steps:a. Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Program Options.

Note In this option, Program represents the name of the program.
b. In the Navigation Pane, click Resources.
c. Click Diagnose.

2. Click Continue.
3. Click Start Diagnostics.

If the Office Diagnostics tool identifies a problem, it tries to fix the problem.
4. When the Office Diagnostics tool finishes, click Close.

Method 2: Run the Detect and Repair tool from Add or Remove Programs
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
3. Click Microsoft Office Edition 2007, and then click Change.

Note In this option, Edition represents the Microsoft Office edition that is installed on the computer.
4. Click Repair, and then click Continue.

try the first method....er....first

samgood8

samgood8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Right, Have tried both options - unfortunately niether worked! Office Diagnostics said no problems were found. So I'm still getting the same error message! "Windows cannot find '\\JULIE\Shared Documents\Figures\Business Card\Business Card 07-08.xls' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

:-( Any other ideas?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
press the windows key (has the windows logo) and the R key on your keyboard....this should open a run command window type "\\JULIE\Shared Documents\Figures\Business Card\Business Card 07-08.xls" (with the quotes) does the XLS open now?

Advertisements

samgood8

samgood8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No it won't open from run either. The same error message comes up. The files open fine from the Main & 3rd computer its only mine that has this problem. Any Other Ideas? (Thanks you so much for your help!)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
these steps are for 2003, and i don't have 2007 to look for this setting but see if you can locate something along the lines of

Tools then Options then General then uncheck the box that says "Ignore other applications" (or possibly check it if it's already unchecked)

samgood8

samgood8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I found it!!! and it worked!! It was in 'Office Button' (top Left Corner of excel application) then 'Excel Options', 'Advanced' then scroll down to General and the check box was there. I unchecked it and now I can access the files throught the shared folder.

Thank you soooooo much for all your help!
x

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
thanks for forcing me to learn something

saramb

saramb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
THANK YOU so much ! I searched the topic and found your reply and it also worked for me, I no longer have to go through the labourious process of opening through Excel, i can also open from the files list! :)