Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

eMachine drives are dead

• Please log in to reply

James F Daley

James F Daley

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
About a week ago while on the computer (WinXP) a quick screen message came up that I ignored.

After that I could not access the internet....later I couldn't get the machine to read the
E and D drives.

The Comcast guy checked out my modem and link and gave me a new one tho the old one seemed OK.

I've used the system restore DISKS and they work up to a point that after all three disks have been read, the Windows screen comes up and starts to "help set up my computer"

The first screen asked for language; the second; time zone and the third wanted a name for the computer.

Several times I called it my name and a couple of times I skipped this step (which was optional).

After that the monitor screen froze with the hourglass showing. Mouse clicks did nothing.

I chatted with Gateway and they asked me to dl a thing called GWScan which I put on a CD.

But my other computer...where the problem is, obviously..won't read it in either the optical drive or the DVD drive.

I've got a 1.44mb drive on my computer but no way to copy the GWScan to be able to use it.

Anyone got a clue about this?

Thanks..Jim Daley

Advertisements

James F Daley

James F Daley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
can i get a little help????

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi James, sorry for the delay.

The GWScan that you got from Gateway, was it an iso file (image of a bootable CD)? If so, how did you create the CD from it?

James F Daley

James F Daley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello, Z:

Thanks for the response.

I don't know the answer to your question but the the readme file is below.

Information and Instructions about this download file

=======================
File Description: GWSCAN 5.12
Version: 5.12
Operating System: All Operating Systems
Part Number: gwscan512
Date: 03/21/2007
=======================

Table of Contents
=======================
Overview
Identification
Installation
Program Use
Removal
Troubleshooting
Reason for Update
Applicable Part Numbers
=======================

Overview

GWSCAN 5.12 is a diagnostic hard drive utility. This program allows you to verify most hard drives. There are options to check the disk, test the disk, and write zeros to the disk. This GWSCAN version is for hard drives that are larger than 10 gigabytes (GB). If testing or writing zeros to a hard drive that is 10 GB or smaller, GWSCAN version 3.15 is recommended.

Note: GWSCAN 5.12 must be run from bootable media because it runs in MS-DOS. Please refer to the Program Use section for instructions on how to run GWSCAN.

Identification

This utility can be used on any IDE, UATA or SATA hard drive larger than 10 GB purchased from Gateway, either as part of a computer configuration or through Gateway Add-on sales, with the exception of any hard drive connected to a SCSI controller card.

Installation

1. If you have not already done so, locate and double-click the gwscan512.exe file that you downloaded from the Gateway Web site. This file may be located on your desktop, depending where the file was downloaded to. Files are extracted to the C:\Cabs\Gwscan512 folder on the hard drive and the GWSCAN menu appears. The GWSCAN menu provides steps to create bootable GWSCAN media.

2. Select the appropriate media to use and corresponding steps for your computer.

Extract to floppy A: drive:

Insert a blank floppy disk into the drive and then copy the following files to the floppy disk to make it bootable. The floppy disk cannot have been formatted from a computer running Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows NT®, or Windows XP or it will not work properly.
AUTOEXEC.BAT
Choice.com
COMMAND.COM
DLGLICE.TXT
Edit.com
GWSCAN.EXE
GWSCAN.TXT
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS

Burn a GWSCAN image to CD using Nero Express:

a. Place a blank CD in the optical drive. If a pop up window appears, close it.
b. Open Nero Express. Click Start, All Programs, Burn a CD or Data DVD, Nero Programs, and then Nero Express.
c. In the Nero Express dialog box, click Disk Image or Saved Project.
d. In the Open dialog box, locate the Image File. The path to the file is: C:\Cabs\Gwscan512\GWSCAN512.iso.
Note: Make sure to select Image files from the Files of type pull down.
e. In the Image recording dialog box, click Next.
f. The disc is burnt.
g. In the Nero Express dialog box, click OK.
h. In the Burning Process dialog box, click Next.
i. In the Nero Express dialog box, click Exit.

Burn a GWSCAN image to CD using Power2Go:

a. Place a blank CD in the optical drive. If a pop up window appears, close it.
b. Open Power2Go. Click Start, All Programs, Cyberlink DVD Solution, Power2Go, and then Power2Go.
c. In the Select a Burning Task dialog box, select Disk Utilities, and then click Burn Disk Image.
d. In the Burn Disk Image dialog box, click Browse.
e. In the Open dialog box, locate the Image File. The path to the file is: C:\Cabs\Gwscan512\GWSCAN512.iso.
f. In the Burn Disk Image dialog box, uncheck Perform write simulation and then click Burn.
g. The disc is burnt.
h. In the Power2Go dialog box, click OK.

Steps to burn a GWSCAN image CD using Roxio Easy CD Creator:

a. Place a blank CD in the optical drive. Close any windows that open.
b. From the Start menu, click All Programs, Roxio Easy CD Creator 5, Applications, and then Easy CD Creator.
c. In the Untitled Data CD Project window, click File and then Record CD from CD Image.
d. In the Record CD from Hard Disc Image dialog box, browse to C:\Cabs\GWSCAN512\GWSCAN512.iso, and then click Open.
e. In the Record CD Setup dialog box, click Start Recording.
f. The disc is burned.
g. In the Record CD from CD Image Progress dialog box, click OK.
h. Close all windows.

3. Remove all bootable media from the computer, except for the media that was created in step 2 above.

4. From the Start menu, click Shut Down. In the Shut Down Windows dialog box, select Restart the computer, and then click Yes or OK.

5. The computer restarts to the bootable media and opens a GWSCAN menu.

6. Select option 1 and the GWSCAN utility starts.

Program Use

Running GWSCAN 5.12:

1. By default, the Select Drive option is selected. To see a list of all hard drives installed and the current status of each hard drive, press ENTER.

2. On the Select New Drive screen, all of the installed hard drives are listed. Use the arrow keys to select the desired hard drive, and then press ENTER. The screen displays the status details and verifies which hard drive has been selected. To return to the main menu, press the ESC key.

3. For each hard drive that displays a status of DRIVE NOT TESTED, use the arrow keys to select the hard drive. From the main menu, select the Quick Test option.

4. The Quick Test screen states how many hard drives the utility detected. If the expected number of hard drives is listed, press any key to continue. The next Quick Test screen states that the test takes about 2 minutes to complete. Press the R key to run the test or press ESC to return to the main menu.

5. At the end of the test, a message appears.

a. If the drive passed, a "TEST COMPLETED WITHOUT ERRORS" message appears.
b. If the drive does not pass, an error message appears, stating what type of problem was encountered.

6. Press ESC to return to the main menu.

7. From the main menu, select QUIT to close GWSCAN.

8. At the prompt stating that the computer needs to be reset to reinitialize the BIOS Setup Utility and hard drives, remove the bootable media and then press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, or turn off the computer, and then turn on the computer.

Note: GWSCAN 5.12 can also be used to write zeros to IDE hard drives. This option removes all data from the IDE hard drive. This can be useful when there is serious file corruption or if the computer has a virus.

Removal

As the utility is located on bootable media, when restarting the computer, remove the bootable media so that the computer starts to the hard drive.

Troubleshooting

If you have difficulties extracting the files or running the GWSCAN utility, download the file to different media, and then follow the installation steps in this document.

Reason for Update

Adds support for additional hard drive controllers.

Applicable Part Numbers

All Gateway desktop, notebook, and Profile IDE, UATA, and SATA hard drives.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The directions are pretty explicit. Did you follow them?

Rather than me telling you what to do, please tell me what you did.

James F Daley

James F Daley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes I did....copied gwscan to disk...tried to open my other computer with it..no luck.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You don't copy gwsacn.exe to a disc. You double click on the file you downloaded to expand it on your hard drive, then use one of the methods described to create a bootable CD.

Please tell me exactly what you did. Words are cheap, don't be afraid to expend a few :)

From what little you did say, it sounds like you just copied the gwscan512.exe to a CD.

James F Daley

James F Daley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello Z:

I dl'd the gwscan512 file to my desktop on this computer.

I sent it to the E drive (all I have) on this computer.

I took the cd to my other computer (the one with the problem).

I inserted it in the potical drive on that computer...and..

it goes right back to the "system restore" screen and freezes.

I dont' have Nero or the others programs mentioned in the read me file.

Thanks for your interest.

Jim Daley

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
James, I'm really stumped. You keep doing the same wrong thing and I don't know how to redirect you :)

The directions you posted in this forum are about as explicit as they can be. You don't put the gwscan512.exe file on a CD, you first have to run it by double clicking on it.

1. If you have not already done so, locate and double-click the gwscan512.exe file that you downloaded from the Gateway Web site. This file may be located on your desktop, depending where the file was downloaded to. Files are extracted to the C:\Cabs\Gwscan512 folder on the hard drive and the GWSCAN menu appears. The GWSCAN menu provides steps to create bootable GWSCAN media.

If you put GWSCAN512.iso on CD that is also incorrect. You need to use that file as the source to create a CD with.

You said you don't have Nero or Roxio or Power2GO, so probably the easiest program to use to accomplish this is ISO Recorder. Once you install it, use Windows Explorer or My Computer to navigate to C:\Cabs\Gwscan512\GWSCAN512.iso. Right click on it and select Copy image to CD.

The CD it create should then be bootable in the other computer.

Does that help?

James F Daley

James F Daley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well. Z....thanks for your help and patience but no luck.

I got GWscaniso file onto my CD and into the dead computer.

I did the quick test and extended test; both showed "no errors"

I rebooted and got right back to Sys Restore procedure where it hung up as before.

I reinstalled the whole Sys Restore software; same result.

Jim Daley

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets try a different angle...follow the instructions at this link here...this is going to install puppy linux on the computer..AFTER wiping and formatting the drive..during the install... if there is any problem with the hardware at all the linux loader will give us a message on what failed...it will just stop there..if that happens..write down the message EXACTLY and post it back here..

Edited by happyrck, 03 March 2008 - 09:28 AM.

James F Daley

James F Daley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello, Happyrck:

I'm afraid the 11 page 'how to" at your link is way over my head.

I did dl the "Quick hard disk install of Puppy 1.03 - 05" but when I tried to open it my McAfee software refused it for spyware or something.

Jim Daley