Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

800mhz RAM will only run at 667mhz

• Please log in to reply

jch82

jch82

• Pip
  • 6 posts
In reference to my previous post, I think I have solved the problem of my computer crashing when running 8gb of RAM as opposed to 4GB. I had to manually set the frequencey to 667mhz. Is there a way to troubleshoot this problem? The RAM is rated at 800mhz, latency 5, timing 5-5-15.

http://www.geekstogo...AM-t189127.html

Thanks,
Josh

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
To solve this problem, you should try raising the RAM voltage to the recommended value. You can find this value either on the packaging, on the manufacturer's website, or on newegg.com (if they sell the RAM you have).

The only G.Skill 4x2GB kit I could find recommends 1.8V-1.9V, so you will probably want to try 1.9V if that is indeed the kit you have.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Also, it sounds like your FSB:RAM ratio is set at 1:1 or 2x. Try adjusting your ratio to see if it bumps up to an even 800mhz.

jch82

jch82

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I looked everywhere in the BIOS settings for the RAM voltage and am not sure where to change it... I am using an ASUS P5KC motherboard? The recommended voltage is 1.8-1.9V. Another thought I had is the power supply being to small. It is a 500W that came with my tower... Here are the specs on my build:

Vista Ultimate 64 bit
2.4Ghz Intel Quad Core Processor
8GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce 8800GTS graphics card
250GB Seagate Hard Drive

Any chance I could fix this with a larger power supply?

Thanks again,
Josh