Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot install scanner driver on w2k

• Please log in to reply

greensheep

greensheep

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been trying for days to install my Canoscan 5000F scanner on a hard drive that has been formatted with ntfs system and running w2k. After loadind the software and plugging in the scanner I get an error message saying data invalid The scanner has been recognised in the device manager but dosen't have any drivers installed.
I have tried loading the twain driver from the cd and from the Canon web site but still the same message
I have disconnected all the usb devices, disabled the virus checker even tried loading another twain driver from a different scanner but no luck.
There is nothing wrong with the scanner as it works ok on my daughters computer running w2k on a ntfs disc. Please help me.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I believe win2000 has some issues with twain.
Go to the link below, type canoscan 5000F into the 'enter product name' box & select the software/drivers downloads. Then download the driver uninstall utility & the driver itself.

http://consumer.usa....ownloadIndexAct

Disconnect the scanner from your pc then run the uninstall utility & reboot.
Go to control panel->admin tools->services & disable windows image aquisition.

Install the download driver & follow the instuctions.

Let me know how you get on

greensheep

greensheep

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for the suggested cure. I am afraid no luck though. Still getting Data is invalid.
I did as instructed but couldn't find Windows Image Aquisition in services. The only thing there was with any thing about images was - Still Image Service and I left that alone as it was started automatic.
When I tried to install the driver manually I browsed to the downloaded driver folder (5000F8021WNEN) The computer couldn't find an *inf.file in the folder!
There is now a hidden folder in C drive called Canoscan (CNQ5000)
Have I done something wrong? :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
do you get that error message (data invalid) whenever you try to scan something in or when windows boots up or what?

The driver you downloaded is an .exe file. You double click on it to extract it & then it should automatically install itself (so don't do this until you're ready to install it).

Don't worry about the hidden folder on the C drive. In fact, if you attempt to reinstall the driver (which means you need to remove the scanner from device manager first or run the uninstall utility), I would delete that folder altogther before reinstalling.

I think the Still image service is probably the one you may need to disable, but don't worry about that for now.

By the way, do you have Service pack 1 installed?

greensheep

greensheep

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Back again.
Firstly to answer your questions.

1. I get the message 'An error occured during the installation of the device . The data is invalid' whenever I first connect the scanner to the computer and the add new hardware wizard picks it up and automatically finds the set up I downloaded from Canon or the set up from the Canon cd.

2. Yes I do have SP1 The Windows 2000 came with SP3

When I try to load the driver manually through the device manager after uninstalling everything Canoscan I cannot stop the computer looking for an inf. file and not a driver set up. Then I get the message 'The specific drive does not contain information about your hardware' and then loads C:\WINNIT\inf\oem17.inf .

Also Still Image Service has disappeared from Services!

Last night I uninstalled Canon and all the windows hotfixes, Photoshop, Norton and several other things then tried to install the scanner to no avail I then put back Norton and downloaded all the windows updates etc and re- installed SP4.
:tazz: Still Image Service hasn't appeared and scanner still won't install.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Right, I've had a read through canons help pages on this matter. It seems the twain driver is completely seperate from the rest of the driver software & must be installed manually for W2K, otherwise you error messages.

I apologise if you have already tried everything I am about to suggest, I'm only going on what Canon have said. Its always worth giving it a second bash though, providing you start from fresh & do it all in the right order!

1. disconnect scanner & run the uninstall utility you downloaded from canons website.

2. Reboot & insert the CD that came with the scanner but if it autoruns, then close it. Then reconnect scanner.

3. When the 'add new hw wizard' starts, you want it to allow you to specify the location of the driver. Select the Scanner CD, open the Scangear folder & language folder, & select the inf file that corresponds to your scanner.

4. This should have now installed the Twain driver.

5. Next stage, is to run the executable (setup file) that is in the root of the CD (or the one you downloaded).
This should complete the installation of the driver/software.

Let me know what happens

greensheep

greensheep

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Back Again. This time with good news.

I did all as you said but couldn't find any inf. file in English,French or Spanish in fact files appeared empty as computer would only look for autorun inf. so I uninstalled every thing canon several times and unplugged the scanner.

Restarted and installed scangear which was a zip file(setupSG) off the cd.

Then I went into find and found setupSG on the C drive.

I think then I right clicked on it and opened it with winzip and saw the 2 twain drivers and put 2 shortcuts on the desktop to prove they were there and I wasn't going mad!
Then I plugged in the scanner usb.

There were noises from off and we were up and running. :tazz:

Thankyou so much for your help and patience.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome.
Sorry it took so long, sometimes the only way to get a USB device to work, is to forget about logic & go with persistent b*ggering about. :tazz:

Gisela

Gisela

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you so very much for your help re finding the twain driver to enable me to instal my scanner.
Your assistance was wonderful.I am very grateful .
Many thanks
Gisela

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thank you