Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Novice Build

• Please log in to reply

COLSLICK

COLSLICK

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have enjoyed my older computer after retirement and now want to take on the challange of building one. As you will tell from my questions I'm a beginner and would like to learn fom your vast experience. I have bought an Antec case w/500w PS and an AMD 4600mhz dual core processor. I really only do internet surfing, burn CDs for my grandkids and photo editing (maybe get into DV editing) w/ Photoshop Elements. I plan on getting an ASUS MB and have 3 questions I hope some of you me can help with. I understood the relationship between FSB speed and memory like 333 FSB = DDR 2700 memory, but my AMD has no FSB listed only 2000HT, what memory should I get and does getting a higher number with the backward compatability lower the performance, also would a lower CL do any good. Next, if I get into DV editing how big a HDD do I need and should I get a PATA or SATA if the MB has that capability, and 7200 RPM or more. Last, is it a mistake to get a MB with integrated video (Nvida) for my purposes. Any other ideas about hardware to add or change would sure be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Most new AMDs are FSB 800Mhz. Therefore ideally you use DDR2 800Mhz, though DDR2 533 and DDR2 667 will work as well.

2) Biggest you can get your hands on. SATA most definitely. Also two hard drives, one for raw video and editing stuff, otherwise things start taking a long time to do anything.

3) No. Stick a separate card in later on if you like, it won't matter.

COLSLICK

COLSLICK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Neil, Appreciate your help - I'm on my way, may be back for more help,
Bob