Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avoid Installing Printer Software!

• Please log in to reply

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I have an HP All-in-One C64100 Series, with a large amount of software to install. All of the software combined is approximately 800 MB I believe. I get PC Magazine and was viewing their "157 Best Software" article and found Printer Anywhere. A freeware application that can be installed and registers printers to be able to print over IP/the internet. All you need is an account, the software, and a printer. This way you don't have to disable your firewalls, etc - Awesome piece of freeware.

Edited by Will_00, 28 February 2008 - 05:01 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i dunno...i'd rather install 600mb worth of HP junk (though you can choose not to install any of that commotion....the driver package is pretty small on it's own) than have to send my print jobs through the internet to print at my desk

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Not only that, but why would I want to make my printer available to other people? Are they going to compensate me for the toner and paper? I have an HP all-in-one that I have the drivers installed for, and I think it's more efficient for the other 2 computers in the house to print through the local network.

Will_00

Will_00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Well, you can just set it up to make someone verify the printing job.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I just can't envision a scenario in which I'd want someone to go to my printer. They could just email the document. I guess it's just me, but everyone I know has a printer already, and I don't like printing stuff just for the sake of printing.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
After installing my HP software, I removed the bloat.
There is no way that I would share my printer online, or give that ability.
I spend about $250.00 a year for ink as it is.
What if your Internet is down and you want to print something?

Will_00

Will_00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
You could return to the simple way of connecting to the printer using USB - It was simply a suggestion.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You gave your suggestion, they are giving their opinions. Thats how a discussion works.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I agree with you, I don't like HP's bundle of software that came with my All-In-One 1315. It slows down the PC and it's really annoying! Takes ages to install too.

I've installed it under the 'Minimum - NOT RECOMMENDED' setting, then I plucked out every unnecessary process from the startup list until I was only left with the essential drivers. Works pretty well :)

Edited by landlord, 29 February 2008 - 03:03 PM.