Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

72 pin parity/non gold/silver help

• Please log in to reply

computerstudent

computerstudent

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am trying to put a slightly newer system together than the one I am using. I have a Intell mother board with four memory slots. Found a page that said I need DRAM 4/8/16/32 MB SIMM MODULE (72 PIN). It then gave me a listing for bank one and bank two.
TOTAL ******** BANK 0 ************** BANK1
MG ********* SIMM1 SIMM2 ************ SIMM3 SIMM4
8M ********** 4M X2 2PCS *********** - ----------
8M ************ ------------- ************* 4M X2 PCS
16M ************ 8M X 2 PCS ********** -------------
16M *********** ---------------- ************* 8M X 2PCS

Anway the list goes on up to 128M. First my assumptions when I add memory I have to jump install it in slot 1 then slot three , two then four.

The rest is all questions. I have several stripps of memory that are 72 pin some tell me the size others don't some are gold pinned some silver.

Can I use either gold and silver or just gold which is the color of the slots on my board?
signed "the more I read the more questions I have"

Do I have to install merory in a certain order (size)?

OH another assumtion I think I need all parity SIMM so the amount of little chips on the card should be even.

Is there a place that I can go to identify the memory chips I have or something to look for that I can figure them out for myself?

The list I have ends at 128M does this mean that I can only add up to that amount?

Is there anything else I should know that I haven't ran into yet that I need to be aware of.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi computerstudent, welcome to GTG! <_<

The rest is all questions. I have several stripps of memory that are 72 pin some tell me the size others don't some are gold pinned some silver.

Usually, the gold pin memory is faster. It depends what your system requires. Yuo can install faster memory than your system requires, but not slower.

Do I have to install merory in a certain order (size)?

EDO RAM has to be installed in pairs. Usually, in adjacent slots.

Is there a place that I can go to identify the memory chips I have or something to look for that I can figure them out for myself?

Google's a good place to start, just search for the number found on tme memory chips. It should help identify size and speed.

The list I have ends at 128M does this mean that I can only add up to that amount?

128MB is likely the max your system will support. Probably four 64MB sticks.

kimblehyde

kimblehyde

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
most people just try it and if it works it works. parity is just a different type and you can not mix them. you have to install the same type. i have not know it to damage anything by just trying it. it just will not work properly.