Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

noob questions for rebuilding/upgrading

• Please log in to reply

mequestion

mequestion

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi. I have this old emachine t1221 computer. Works fine, (I guess) just old & slow.
Is it possible or practical to replace the internals, or better to replace the entire thing?

If it is worth doing, I guess I just need to know what 'form factor' or whatever the case and mother bd style or whatever is, then I should be able to stumble through it. Have not been able to find that anywhere easily. It is big. Probably like 5 years old or more

Really just hate to see it go to a landfill more than anything. I could buy a new one if this can't be rebuilt or not worthwhile.
Would just rather save a few bucks and a couple cubic feet of landfill.

Thanks for any replies/help.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I do this all the time with E-machine computers brought to me. I am rebuilding a E2642 right now. In your case you have a few problems building it up. First you will need a newer power supply to match your motherboard as the connectors have changed somewhat over the years. Probably the easist way to upgrade is with a tiger direct kit.

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1599

You will also need to buy new memory, and probably a new SATA hard drive. You could get by running a single dvd-rw and a Pata hard drive but why bother. You will also need to buy Windows XP sp2.

So by the time you get all this done you have spent anywhere from $250 to $450. This is the same price you can go out and buy a new computer for when they are onsale at the retail stores.

My suggestion is to just buy a new computer and donate the old computer to some needy kid that appreciates having a computer at all. I donate some time to a local church that uses my talent to fix old computers for needy kids. I have donated dozens of old computer this way.

SRX660

mequestion

mequestion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for replying. I am full aware that the entire guts will need replacing. That does not bother me.

I notice that says 'micro atx' for form factor.

Where can I find out *for sure* what the 'form factor' is for this?

The case dimensions are:
7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

Whatever is in there now is what came with it. Is there maybe a spot on or in the case or original motherboard or anywhere which says for sure?

I have found about three different supposed answers so far, depending on where I look, that is why I am here asking.
(atx, 'atx 250', and now micro-atx)

BTW, I have another pc that is only like 1 1/2 years old in the approx same size case, (maybe even a tad bigger) so I would think that is not a problem?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think you will notice that the height of the space between the bottom of the case and the bottom of the power supply is about 10 inches in most cases that can only run micro-atx( mini-atx is the same thing). You will also notice that regular ATX motherboards are usually about 12 inches long which precludes them from being able to fit into a case that has only 10 inches of space. ATX 250 i have niot heard of in motherboards but have heard of power supplys being called that.

A normal power supply is 3.75 inches high so you have only 10.375 inches to install a motherboard. It would not be advisable to try fitting a 12 inch ATX motherboard in that space.

SRX660