Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Delete File:

• Please log in to reply

cokane

cokane

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
for some reason when ever i try to move,rename, or delete a file in my c drive my music folder it gives me this error

Cannot Delete File: Cannot Read From The Source File Or Disk

but if i close the folder out and re open it what ever change i made has taken place. is there a way to turn that warning out off or fix it.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
When you have the folder open, the program that opens the file is in use.
So you can not make changes at that time.
When the program is no longer on use the change is made.
When you reopen the folder it is changed.
As for the error messege, I would leave it as is. If some error crashes your system you will want to know what the last error messege was.

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
One program that is likely to fully remove any file or folder with any reminiscence is File Shredder.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you use the Windows Media Player, your My Music folder is likely tied to the Media Player Library. When you want to delete a music or video file, try removing it from the WMP Library. To do this, open WMP and click on the "Library" tab. Right click on the file (song) you want to remove and choose "Delete". You will be given the choice to remove it only from the library or to delete it from your computer. The latter action should also remove it from the My Music folder without generating the error message.

cokane

cokane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
hfcg that makes sense its the music folder and i was probabbly down loading some thing at the time. but there is a folder inside that main folder that i cant get ride of. i am gonna try the file shredder.
i just tried the shredder and it still gave me the some files cant be deleted becuase they are in use.

Edited by cokane, 01 March 2008 - 08:53 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try MoveOnBoot...
MoveOnBoot allows you to copy, move or delete files on the next system boot. This can come handy if you need to replace or delete files that are locked by other applications, loaded into memory or cannot be changed until next system boot....get it here...

cokane

cokane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
i tried moveonboot. when i go to select the file or folder it tells me the file path is incorect. maybe noing the types of files might help.

2 jpegs
2 mp3s
1 sfv
1 msinfo document

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you done an actual search for this folder using the Windows Search function? That may help to locate the actual target file if it's been moved from it's original location. Make sure you have it search hidden files and folders, as well.

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I believe AVG Anti-Spyware has a file shredder.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try Unlocker: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
right click on the file you want to go away...one of the options is to delete on boot...

cokane

cokane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
i got it deleted turns out the folder name was too long

Edited by cokane, 02 March 2008 - 08:18 AM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
If you know the file path, you can use the command prompt to delete a file.
delete file path.

Edited by hfcg, 02 March 2008 - 08:26 AM.