Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Struggle to set up a LAN (having done it before)

• Please log in to reply

avz10

avz10

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is a long post, I tried it on another site, without luck. My IT guy is in Cape Town and could not help me either. I recently swopped laptops at work and this is when it started. At the same time, my so created new user accounts for all of us, so I am not sure what the culprit was

I have a desktop and a laptop, both connecting directly to my ADSL modem/router. The modem then obviously connects to the phone line. The setup now allows good connection to the internet. (Please see attachment)

My problem is to get the two computers to connect and talk/share/synchronise. I use Windows XP on both.

If I open control panel on both computers, go to Network connections, it gives me 2 connections. A Local Area Connection and a 1394 connection. What I have done in the past was to right click on the 1394 connection, go to properties, go to Internet Protocol, then to properties, and then click on "use the following IP address" I would name one computer 10.0.0.1 and the other 10.0.0.4, in subnet mask in both computers, I would use 255.255.255.0. Then it would connect to each other. Now it does not. If I do that with the LA Connection, I lose my internet connection

These are their info:
Desktop:
Gateway: 10.0.0.2
IP address: 10.0.0.4
DNS servers: 10.0.0.2

Laptop:
Gateway: 10.0.0.2
IP address: 10.0.0.1
DNS servers: 10.0.0.2

If I PING from the one to the other, I get a response. So it means they are connected?!

To start with the laptop:
If I go Start-My computer-Entire network-Microsoft Windows network-I get MS Home. If I open that, I see the Desktop PC. If I open that, I see the shared folders on the desktop. If I click on those, I get the error message, which I took a screenshot of. (attachment)

At the desktop, the following happens:
Go to My computer-Network places-then it just shows the shared folders on the desktop (previously it also showed the shared folders on the laptop)

Is there anyone that can help me?

Attached Files

• Attached File  LAN.doc   61KB   22 downloads

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If both of your computers connect directly to the modem, then it should give them both IP addresses and no other setup is needed other than making sure they network connection is setup to obtain IP info automatically.

The easiest thing to do is to connect your modem to a router then to the two computers.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know.

you've probably got some permissions issues or something going on