Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive shut off

• Please log in to reply

Aaron B.

Aaron B.

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I recently put an internal 250gb drive in my computer with SATA. It is good but once it's done doing something it turns off, then anytime I do anything else I have to wait for it to turn on and speed up, and then I can continue. It is very annoying and in some cases limits my working. Is there a way that I can just keep the HDD going constantly?

Thanks!

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
  • Click the start button.
  • Select control panel.
  • Open power options.
  • Adjust the power plan for; best performance, balanced, Etc...
Also, set the machine so that it does not go to sleep.

Aaron B.

Aaron B.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply, but this is not the setting that I'm looking for. My Drive shuts off in a matter of seconds atfer using it, most of the time when my computer has to wait for it to start up, I am not even trying to acess anything from this drive. The settings for time for hard drive to stay on is and always has been 20 mins, but it still doesn't keep my one hard drive on.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I think that the power plan over rides the time set to turn off the hard drive.
Here is a link that may help.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Certain hard drives have internal software that makes them go to "rest" mode where the heads are parked, very quickly. You may have one of those models. You may need added drivers to overcome the limitation. One thing is we don't know what hardware, operating system, etc., that you have so we can't say. Google can be your friend on this problem, search for advice from others who have encountered it. Is this a notebook or a desktop, what operating system do you have, what is the make/model of hard drive, computer or motherboard?

Edited by Tyger, 01 March 2008 - 12:29 PM.

Aaron B.

Aaron B.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It's a desktop, Windows Vista home premium, Western Digital HDD WD250GBKSRTL, Acer computer. When it was in my past computer it would stay on fine, could it be doing this because it's not the master HDD? The back of the drive doesn't have jumpers, I think it chooses automatically what type of drive it is to be.