Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE6 won't open

• Please log in to reply

s0nginmyheart

s0nginmyheart

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Hi all,

I'm having problems with IE6 on one of our computers using winXP sp2. It was working fine up until the past week or so. I cannot seem to get it to open up (whether it be I click on the quick launch icon, desktop icon, or from programs) unless I restart the computer every time. Even then, once I close out of IE and try to open up a new window it won't. I ctrl+alt+del and see that iexplore.exe is listed (and it's listed multiple times whenever I try to reopen a new window). I also get a problem when trying to shut down or reboot, it gives me a prompt about iexplore.exe with an "end now" button. I've tried re-installing IE6 and still get the same result. I'm trying to avoid downloading IE7 and Firefox on this particular computer. Any help/suggestions is most appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Have you tried accessing it any other methods? Such as going through a Windows Update to open it? Also you may want to try and clean your Temp folder, restart and try that again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

s0nginmyheart

s0nginmyheart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Hi, thanks for the replies. The funny thing is if I open up a folder ie "my documents" and type in a web address in the adress bar it will connect. So I don't know why clicking on the IE icons just won't work normally.

I did run the SFC scan and was still having the same trouble. I caved in and upgraded to IE7... and the problem is gone. =T thanks everyone for your timely help and suggestions!