Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista's Document Image Scanner - How to disable?

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I have a Digital Rebel XT SLR camera and have downloaded the Vista driver and Vista software upgrades. After insstalling all, I rebooted, connected the camera, and turned the camera on. Vista was real quick to tell me that the hardware is not supported by Microsoft's Document Image Scanner. That's fine...I don't need it to be. I need it to open with either the Canon Zoom Browser software or Microsoft's Photo Imaging software.

Sounds like the drivers aren't installed, but they are.

Can I disable to document image scanner? If so, do you think that will even help me?

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Why not do what most digicam owners do -- buy a USB card-reader? Vista will see the card reader using it's own built-in driver, giving each slot on the card-reader it's own drive letter as a 'removable device'. Just remove the card from the camera and stick it in the card reader. A Window will open to let you explore your pics, lets you select and copy them across to wherever you like just as you do with any other files. No messing about with camera connector-cables and you don't even need to use ZoomBrowser or any other software, except for editing your pics of course.

Too often we are misled by the manufacturers (Canon in this case) into thinking we have to install their software to get our pics onto the PC when in fact we don't need it, so why install something you don't need to have? Every bit of software you install has the potential to cause problems later on, so the more software you can manage without the better.

Edited by pip22, 02 March 2008 - 01:48 PM.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
pip22:

I'm pretty good about making a post when I figure something out, but i forgot this time.

I managed to get my camera to download by changing the communication setting on the camera from "Computer" to "Printer". It sounds crazy, but it worked. I would never have even tried it but ran across it from some other site I had googled.

I still haven't crossed the finish line though. I have two programs - the Canon software and Microsoft's Live Photo. I'm having problems with both of them. The Canon software is putting the pictures into folders by date (great), but it isn't rotating the pictures. It never worked in XP, but I was hoping this new version (compatable with Vista) would do it for me. According to Canon, it should, though they've never figured out why it didn't work on my old computer so I'm not calling them about the new computer. The Live Photo program IS rotating the pictures, but it's putting them into one folder - the date the photos are downloaded. I haven't been able to find a setting in there to change the way the folders are categorized.

At any rate, I'll fool with those applications when I get some free time.

We'll call this - CASE CLOSED.

Thanks for the response. I'll keep that in mind. :)

Magus