Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

0x error every few seconds

• Please log in to reply

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have a computer that i have been looking at for a week now. I am getting a 0x 444e4724 error every minute or so even tho windows does boot up and i can move around in windows. I have been looking all over for a cure for this but cannot find anything on this error on the net. I get event ID 26, and ID 1000 errors in event viewer. I seem to get many application errors in the event viewer, one at a time until i finally shut the dang thing off. All have to do with svchost.exe.

From the explanation i got from the owner, he tried deleting the IDE drivers in order to cure a problem of the LG dvd-rw drive taking 30 minutes to burn a CD. I have found out there is a big problem with this LG 840 dvd burner that H-P has a update for. Aparently the update does not fix the problem but the guy tried the IDE delete in device manager when he read that it would help the problem.

By the way this is a Compaq Presario SR1750KR computer. Intel 3.06, 250 Gig Sata drive, LG 840 dvd-rw, on a ECS RC410-M motherboard. Nothing is changed from factory settings and no hardware added other than a kingston matched pair of 1 gig memory sticks. He also did not make a recovery CD and the restore does not fix the problem no matter how far back you go. It says restore is successful but the problem remains. I can get into safe mode and the error does NOT occur there. I am at wits end trying to find this problem.

I was hoping someone else could enlighten me before i tell the guy we will need to buy a XP cd and start from scratch on the computer.

Thanks
SRX660

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
SRX660, why can't he/you make the recovery CD's now? I think you can even do this from Safe Mode.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have found out from the owner that he bought this computer as a refurbished computer. He said that the recovery partition on the computer is empty of any data, so he cannot make a restore CD or do a restore from that hidden partition.

SRX660

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
He can order replacement recovery CDs from HP (Compaq). This site has all the links http://www.hp.com/co...contact_us.html , would be cheaper that a new XP CD and would include all the right drivers.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look in services.msc...is Remote Procedure Call Service disabled...it should be automatic...
another thing that may help...go here

one more here...

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It's just the oddest thing. I looked at everything i could on the subject. I had already been to the event ID website and really did not want to join just to get answers that would not help me. I have looked at 100's of sites in the last week trying to find more information on these error's.

It seem the computer fixed itself.

Now, i have a second dilemma. Today i decided i had had enough with this computer and the owner did not want to fork out for a XP CD. So i unplugged the cable modem from the computer but left it still hooked up to the monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers. I was Called out on a computer at a business where i have a contract to do all the repairs. When i got back , just for a lark, i started up the problem computer. Jeeze, the dang thing booted up to the desktop with no errors at all. everything seems to work just fine. So, my next step was to shut the computer down, replug the cable modem back into the RJ-45 port on the computer, and see what happens.

Absolutely NOTHING happens.

Everything works, i opened pictures and edited them, downloaded some videos from you tube, played some games, and just tried everything i could. This computer works perfectly.

The Dilemma? Do i send the computer back to the customer just hoping that the problem does not come back? Or do i go ahead and reinstall or repair install XP and then give it back. I really don't believe that a computer can fix itself, but i wonder if it was just a connection conflict causing all these problems. I really don't have a clue here.

SRX660

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
To be honest it depends on you and the customer. To be precise what you're billing. Reinstalls can be pricey, if its running fine then depending on the relationship with the customer leave it as is.

I would just do general maintenance/clean up/updates etc. Then explain that you did general maintenance on it and its working fine now. Ask the customer if they want it back with the chance of the error coming back or if they want a clean install.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I have found out from the owner that he bought this computer as a refurbished computer. He said that the recovery partition on the computer is empty of any data, so he cannot make a restore CD or do a restore from that hidden partition.
SRX660

he may want to clone the hard drive to correct this issue...could save both time and money down the road...and he could bring the new drive forward into any new system he gets in the future..

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
That's a matter of business attitude in general and your relations with the specific customer in particular.

There is no way on earth that I would spend even a fraction of the time that you spent on this computer. I am not prepared to keep relations with any customer if loosing money is involved. That's bad business relations.

I take full responsibility for my work and will go to great lengths if I did something wrong while fixing a computer (I do not wish to sound un-modest but these are very rare ocurances. For me, a computer that returns for a second repair because of something that I did wrong is a shameful failure and loss of money. I do not cut any corners while fixing computers and I charge accordingly).

If I test a computer and find that the problem takes too long to research and fix, or If I suspect that at the end of my efforts the problem will not be solved, be it malware, windows or other corruption, I go for a clean format. Even further, I do not take any responsibility for any application other then the standard installations (windows, office, amtimalware) . If the customer doesn't wish to go for that I charge him for checking the computer and send him to whoever he wants to go.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Thank You, Skeptic, you have just voiced my exact feelings. While i did go a bit overboard it is because this guy is a good friend. I have been a bit afraid the computer would act up again so i have installed Ghost and made my own recovery cd's from the computer. My problem was he did not want to buy a XP CD when he is planning to buy a new computer with vista soon. I can understand his problem so i tried a repair install from one of my CD's and it did seem to help( although i still got the error messages quite a few times. I am now thinking it is a network problem as i am getting conflicts on other computer's hooked to my router when this computer is connected. So, i'm sending it home and i have told him i really did not fix the computer but it fixed itself. I don't mind spending the time on it as the errors have led me to places i have never known existed before now. It was a good learning experience. Thank You All for trying to help.

SRX660