Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A disk read error has occurred; press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart

• Please log in to reply

teclive

teclive

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi everyone, how we all doing? better than myself i hope :)

I am running an HP Compaq Presario V6000 Notebook with a Windows Vista Home edition i belive

When i try to turn my computer on i am getting teh

error.

The system has been acting strange teh past couple of days, freezing up, blue screen of death, an di noticed it started after I had borrowed a friends camera and plugged in the USB to retrieve the pictures, it was after that my system started spitting out the BSOF and freezing up on me.

Last night i was talking to my son on msn, it froze, i shut it down and walked away, this morning i woke up, ready to work, turned on the system and got the error message

My system is my bread and butter, it is how i conduct work and make my money. I have been down 2 days now and have a few unhappy clients :)

I am hoping someone can help me figure out the problem, At this point, I dont care if i lose files, i just want my system back. Keeping my files would be lovely, but, i will settle for losing them if need be

Oh...
When i hit f12 while booting...i get this error....

PXE E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable
PXE MOF Exiting Nvidia Boot agent

(the sometimes, under the above it will show Operating system not found)

again though, the operating system not found error doesnt always show up

so..if i dont hit anything and just turn on the computer, i get the

errror

if i hit f12 while booting. i get the

PXE E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable

error, with the operating system error once in a while

thank you all so much for reading my post, i do hope this problem can be solved..

no, i do not have recovery disk

ty
tanya

Advertisements

hidyjane

hidyjane

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi
Sorry for your problems and inconvenience.

quote/ PXE E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable
/unquote

is relating to you network/ethernet connection. The computer is checking for an Ethernet connection as there is none is reads as an error.

You might want to run a diagnostics program on your hard drive to see if it is malfunctioning? First find the manufactorer of the hard drive and then the tools on their website to do the checks for you.

If the system is new get the sellers to do the checks for you. If not try the above or reinstall the operating system (Vista) with the disks supplied.

I'm only summerising, you may want to wait for a forum techie to help.... ?

Hidyjane

hidyjane

hidyjane

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
You might also want to check the boot order in bios. Usualy either'del' key or F2 while the system first starts up - then goto boot order. Make sure the hard drive is listed.

(Too much info?) Let me know, I may be able to run you through it.

Hidyjane

teclive

teclive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you so much for your reply..I am at witts end and the longer i look at my kids and my broken laptop the worse i get .

you had mentioned....

You might want to run a diagnostics program on your hard drive to see if it is malfunctioning? First find the manufactorer of the hard drive and then the tools on their website to do the checks for you.

how abouts do i find this information? would it be in my bios? as i cannot get in to see anything else, just bios

the system was bought as a christmas present online, it is reburbished, i am not sure if that helps any or not. I tried calling HP support but they were of absolutely no help :)

i do not have a windows CD, one was not sent to me because vista has split the drive into 2 partitions, c drive for my files and another drive for a full recovery of the default OS...what a bad idea that was...i dont know how they expect you to do a recovery if you cant get into your system :)

I am in the bios of the laptop
under boot options i have

CD Rom Boot
Floppy Boot
INternal Netword Adapter boot

under boot order, i have, in order as seen

Notebook Hard Drive
Atapi CD/DVD Rom Drive
Network Adapter
USB Diskette on Key
USB floppy

teclive

teclive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
when i try to run a hrd disk self test from bios i get...

Test Status #1- 04 Fail

hidyjane

hidyjane

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Teclive.

I'm afraid the last 04 fail I saw was a damaged hard drive, so sorry! Maybe someone else has a better idea?

You can manually have a look at the hard drive manufacturer by unscrewing the back from the laptop, not all the screws. Usually the hard drive will have one or two associated screws that when removed you can slide the drive out. If you are unsure about doing this then maybe take it to someone who does know as if the drive has failed you will have to gain access to it anyway.

Sorry I could not have been more help. :)

One more idea If you are technically minded you may want to try a pebuilder. I use BartPE (Try a google search for Bart PE). This wonderful tool is actually an operating system that is run from a CD. Once used you should be able to view your drive (If accessible) and get your data off via a USB hard drive (If you have one).

Hope this helps
Heidi

hidyjane

hidyjane

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Also Try the Hp website. This is as far as I got, you have to click on your model number;

http://h20180.www2.h...ebook PC series

Hope it helps
Hidyjane

teclive

teclive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
you have been wonderful, and thank you so much for your help through this time of [bleep] :)

I contacted the tech support at HP, adn it seems in fact, i need a new hard drive :) i just dont get it, i just got it at christmas and i am not that hard on my computer.
Mind you, i did find out it is a reburbished system, which took both my hubby and myself by surprise.

I want to thank you again, for taking the time to help me and lead me in the right direction :)

hidyjane

hidyjane

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
No problem. I'm glad you at least now know the problem and can move forward from there.
Hidyjane :)