Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to set up a site to showcase my own music ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,,,,
Sorry to bust in on your website makers section, but i thought if anyone knows it will be one of you guys/gals ! ! :)

To cut things short,,i am a musician and write, play and produce all my own material in my own small home recording studio.
I have now reached the point where i would like to put some of my songs on my own website so people i know and ork with can just visit and listen to the songs,,, spread the word etc,,,

I cant afford to set up my own site so have been looking at some of the free to build sites such as www.freewebs.com. I actually like one of the templates on this particular site and have been able to build a very basic site with a photo or two,, but when it comes to uploading a song file(wma/mp3) from my hardrive it doesnt like it at all and appears that its not capable of accepting the files in any format. :)

Can any of you website builders/experts out there offer me any advice on how to go forward with this simple project ???
I could use the utube/facebook/myspace type of arena, but want to steer clear until i have my own site set up properly,,then maybe i could provide links to these types of arenas in the future.

In a nutshell,, how does a novice like myself get to build their own simple website/webpage with a media player and a way of uploading wma/mp3s off my drive ? ? ?

Please help if you can folks,,, am desperate to get this up and running, and i am getting nowhere at the moment.
Reccomendation is the highest form of flattery ! ! :)

Many thanks for reading,, kev

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
According to freewebs.com, you have to use their tools to convert your videos for use on the site:

Video

Share videos of the kids, the car, the vacation, whatever... with Freewebs' new video player. Our tools convert your media files so that anyone can see them on any computer.

Ron

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
If you are using FTP you can upload to a certain directory and link background music by inserting the following:

<embed src="/music/musicfile.wav" autostart="true" loop="false">

You could also create a graphic representation of it by using the following code:

<embed src="/music/musicfile.wav" autostart="true" loop="false" width="350" height="200">

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry, Will, but I would not give anyone that code. I have much better ones than that, but that;'s not going to work on FreeWebs.com. It is not accepted by all browsers, too limited in what it can do and, of course, will not validate. But the important thing is, the OP was talking about his FreeWebs.com page (or I thought he was) and they don't allow uploading video except through their own video tool.

Ron

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks for the replies guys,,,

I dont want to upload videos to the website,,i dnt have any videos,, just 3 or 4 wma/mp3 tracks to start with that visitors can click on the title of each track and listen to it whilst still on the site. The ability to download the tracks is not essential at this point but will be something i will look at once i have things up and running and gauge the intrest in the site

I want a site where people can open up my home page and click on a gallery tab to se a few pics of me, and click on a music tab to have access to 3 0r 4 of my songs.
Freewebs doesnt seem to allow you to do this, and there is no option in the tools to do this !

I like the template i have found on freewebs,, but this fact alone doesnt tie me to this site,, i will try any free website building, not just freewebs.

I have very limited knowledge in this area and building a page is a bit of a hit and miss mystery to me.

I understand nothing about code :)

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I would recommend Weebly then. It seems to have all of the objects you intend to have on a website, including background music and the option to download music.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks for all the help and advice,,,
Have decided to go with soundclick for now,,

Will have to set up my very own site at some point though,,,,dont know how i am going to embed a player though ?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you can use the standard HTML for embedding videos or music files, you might want to use this online tool to generate your code and test it:

Embedded Media Generator

I use JavaScript to write the code when ever the embed tag has to be used.

If you have problems, you might want to see if the Satay method (embedding Flash) would be of any use to you. See also:
Flash Satay: Embedding Macromedia Flash While Supporting Standards.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 01 March 2008 - 04:56 PM.