Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

okay heres a tricky one! please help

• Please log in to reply

Coduez

Coduez

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
okay well i recently out up a post asking for help because both my disc drives werent reading DVD discs and they both dropped out at the same time but i still havent solved it.

i have tried everything swithcing the plugs around in them i have tried uninstalled them in the device manager and i have even tried a new disc drive in the comp and then that didnt work even with a fresh OS so can someone please help me! :) :) :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Coduez...

When you say the drives both dropped out, do you mean that they no longer show in "My Computer"? Is the fresh OS the result of a repair installation or was it installed after a format of the hard drive?

wannabe1

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
You can probably skip the first part.
There is a hardware filter blocking the drivers from loading.
Let's have you uninstall the DVD-Drive and then have you reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers for it. To do this, do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc
  • In the new window that appears, click the + symbol next to CD/DVD-ROM Drives.
  • Locate the drive in question and right-click it and choose UNINSTALL.
  • Once it's finishing uninstalling, reboot your computer.
Once it's rebooted, try putting a DVD in it again and see if the same thing happens.

----------------------------

If after rebooting you are still having problems, try the following:

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

----------------------------

If after doing that your drive still doesn't show up, please download CDGone from HERE. Once it's downloaded, extract the files to your desktop and open the READ ME FIRST.TXT file and follow the instructions there.

Post back with how things are going after doing the above.

Coduez

Coduez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thanks HCFQ! ive tried all of the above there excpt for CD gone and by DVD dropped out i mean they donw work sorry i should have explained it better well what exctly happend is they both dont read DVD discs but they will read CDs and its so strange that they both did it at the same time and the OS is completely new i formatted the hard drive and theres no upper and lower filters in the registry.

thanks heaps guys

Coduez

Coduez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
okay that CDGONE didnt work either dang.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Device Manager and expand DVD/CD-ROM drives. Right click on the DVD drive and choose "Properties".

Under the "General" tab, is there an error listed in the "Status" field?

Under the "DVD Region" tab, is your drive set to any particular region?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
This happened after you reinstalled Windows?
Have you updated the drivers?
sorry, posted at same time.
I would suggest that you follow Wannabe1's directions

Edited by hfcg, 29 February 2008 - 07:35 PM.

Coduez

Coduez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
okay well first,

okay there are no errors it says its working fine and the dvd region is set to region 4.

and this happend before i put in a new windows and they were working fine before without new drivers thats whats puzzling me its just stopped for no reason.

another thing i noticed is when i put a DVD in and leave it it doesnt detect the disc (still) but then it says the drive is a CDrom drive.

sorry for all this trouble guys

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In Device Manager, do any of the listed devices have a yellow ! or ? displayed next to them?

Coduez

Coduez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
nope none at all

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What software do you use for viewing DVD's?

In Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right click on the Secondary IDE channel and select "Properties". Under the "Advanced Settings" tab, what is the "Current Transfer Mode" listed for each device?

Danmac

Danmac

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am having a similar problem. I boot up my pc, my dvd drive will work anyehre from 1 to 5 minutes then drop out. As if it has been unplugged. Doesn't show up in Device Manager nor My Computer. After Reboot same procedure occurs.

Would u reccomend inital method advised by HFCG?

Danny

Coduez

Coduez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
okay it says ultra DMA mode 2

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts