Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Repaired System where are my files?!

• Please log in to reply

DenverR

DenverR

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just repaired my system after i lost my admin password. i havent logged into it in afew months. so i finnaly called dell and got a cd to repair it with BUT now that i have logged into it i want to know WHERE ARE ALL MY FILES? All the programs and applications are there but ALL the files from my web design company are gone. This will be a HUGE loss of money if i cant somehow restore them. I have already tried the system restore function but it wont let me go back to afew months ago the only restore point is 15 minutes ago.

One thing that i suspect it could be is that initially i was logged in as a different user with admin rights. But that account was deleted i think when i seperated from a domain ( what caused the whole issue ) so maybe the files were only on that user.

In any case can anyone help me get the files back?

Thanks

Denver

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the restore cd that they sent wiped the drive and put it back like the day you bought the computer...
you may be able to salvage some files but you will have to remove the drive and slave it to a working computer...this SHOULD have been done before using the oem restore disk...
"Installing this one program will not hurt..."

Yes it will! Never install or copy anything to the drive you want to recover data from. If you can avoid it, don't even run the drive anymore. Run it only one more time, after you have attached it to a healthy Windows computer as a second drive, installed the data recovery software on the "good" drive, and are running the software to scan the "bad" drive.
go [url="http://%5burl="http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pcinspector.html"]here...[/url] on the other computer and get PC Inspector...
PC Inspector File Recovery is a data recovery program with support for FAT 12/16/32 and NTFS file systems. It recovers files with the original time and date stamp, and can optionally restore them to a network drive and can recover many files, even when a header entry is no longer available. On FAT systems, the programs finds partitions automatically, even if the boot sector or FAT has been erased or damaged. PC Inspector File Recovery offers an easy to use interface that will scan your drive and automatically make files that can be recovered available from a "Deleted" folder in an Explorer Style navigation tree.

Edited by happyrck, 29 February 2008 - 07:48 PM.

DenverR

DenverR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thanks alot

DenverR

DenverR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PC inspector worked!!!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Why oh why don't you have all that important data backed up? If your company depends on it and it's loss can have a large financial impact, a couple hundred bucks for a good, dependable backup method is peanuts.

Take the time to set it up now and make sure you have multiple backups. For permanent storage, look at a DVD burner, it can handle over 4GB on a single disc (dual layer burners can handle over 8GB per disc).

Buy an external USB 2.0 enclosure (with fan) and put a 500GB IDE or SATA drive in it, heck, buy two.
Buy a copy of Acronis True Image and schedule your backups to happen at night when no one is using the computer.
Rotate between the two hard drives every night or at least once a week and monthly create a new DVD with all your important files.
Keep the latest copy on site and the previous copy off site.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Why oh why don't you have all that important data backed up? If your company depends on it and it's loss can have a large financial impact, a couple hundred bucks for a good, dependable backup method is peanuts.

Take the time to set it up now and make sure you have multiple backups. For permanent storage, look at a DVD burner, it can handle over 4GB on a single disc (dual layer burners can handle over 8GB per disc).

Buy an external USB 2.0 enclosure (with fan) and put a 500GB IDE or SATA drive in it, heck, buy two.
Buy a copy of Acronis True Image and schedule your backups to happen at night when no one is using the computer.
Rotate between the two hard drives every night or at least once a week and monthly create a new DVD with all your important files.
Keep the latest copy on site and the previous copy off site.

Best advice I have heard for valuable files.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome....glad you got the data back.. :)
take Ztruker's advice...redundant backups are mandatory for any business..if your hard drives fails mechanically the the only option besides a backup is REAL spendy...you could also look into a RAID 1 (mirroring) setup

Edited by happyrck, 29 February 2008 - 09:39 PM.

DenverR

DenverR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thanks for all the help everyone
ill be buying some back-up equipment tomorrow