Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Stump The Stars!

• Please log in to reply

Riddler1977

Riddler1977

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi All,

I am having some internet dropout problems that so far i nor anyone else have not been able to solve and i was wondering if i have overlooked something that you may pick up on.

Ill start with the symptoms:

1. Constant internet dropouts at night only from about roughly 8pm onwards give or take an hour. Completely random anywhere from no dropouts one night to a dozen or more dropouts the next night sometimes as little as 5 mins apart to half hour apart with the dropout lasting usually for 30secs or so and rarely up to 15mins or so.

2. when these dropouts occur my modem which is a lynksys AG241 loses sync to the dsl and internet with both lights dropping out completely whilst the power and ethernet light stay steady green.

3. During these dropouts i can not check emails, surf the net, download nor play online games.

Now i have tried numerous things all of which have not worked so ill list them and hopefully ive overlooked something.

1. I have tried replacing my modem with a brand new modem (no luck) this includes cables to and from modem, there are no filters between modem and phone jack.

2. I have tried unplugging all other appliances in my house to make sure there was no possible interference, this includes phone,fridge,dryer etc. I do not have foxtel,back to base alarms etc etc & my modem plugs directly into an independant phone jack. I have also tried replacing the phone filter.

3. I have had a telephone technician check my line during the day & he stated that my line was crystal clear with no interference whatsoever.

4. I have had a computer technician check my computer and modem to ensure all settings etc were ok and no other faulty hardware. All tested ok.

5. I have had my ISP log a fault with Telstra to which they found a fault with my line. To correct this they put a stabilizer on my line which made absolutely no difference whatsoever to the issue im having.

6. I have also changed providers from Exetel to Internode & the problem has carried over.

I have relogged the issue now with Internode and they tell me that none of these dropouts are showing at their end which would appear that i am not getting disconnected from the internet at all but if im losing sync on the internet and dsl light on my modem it has to be disconnected yes?.

the problem i run into now is a telstra technician will only come out during the day when my connection is 100% normal. Internode are further looking into it and have esculated the fault to senior staff and will get back to me shortly.

Anything else you can think of to try would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts :)

Cheers

Riddler1977

Advertisements

Riddler1977

Riddler1977

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was hoping at least one person may be able to help me :)

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
i'm guessing that your ISP has a local "box" somewhere near your house where all the connections from your neighborhood is connected..

i'm guessing that the box is being overloaded at night when all the people go on.

at least that's what happened in my case.

get a internet speed test done. if the speed is WAY over the speed you paid for, then your having problems.

When i had this problem, i only paid for 5k. I had 20k.. which meant too much was getting in my box and overloading it.

use both and post results.
http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/
http://speedtest.net/

Riddler1977

Riddler1977

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi There,

thanks for the reply. Ill do the speedtests today and post results, If this is the case was there light at the end of the tunnel for you ? were they able to correct it for you by updating the local box or was it something you had to put up with ?

Also will all ISP run through that same box im my area or will some ISP run through different ones?

Cheers

Riddler1977

Riddler1977

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi There,

here is a copy of my speedtest,

Last Result:
Download Speed: 4006 kbps (500.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 307 kbps (38.4 KB/sec transfer rate.

My ISP plan is 8000/386 so nowhere near what i should be getting however these tests were done during the day not at night so ill do another test tonight to see if there is a drastic change.

Cheers

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Are your neighbors experiencing the same issue?

Riddler1977

Riddler1977

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi There,

Here are my speed tests at night:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 2147 kbps (268.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 212 kbps (26.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

I dont know any neighbours that have the net i guess i could do a door knock. I had a telstra technician come and check the box outside on the street somewhere and he replaced a port or something.... im still having the same issue :)

Riddler1977

Riddler1977

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi All,

I was wondering if someone can answer a question for me.

As i stated in my first post i have changed providers from exetel to internode and this problem has persisted, Is it at all possible that they are using the same servers (or whatever it is called) at the local exchange, and is it also possible that if i changed my isp to say telstra would my internet be coming out of the same servers at the exchange or possibly different ones thus correcting my problem?.

I have had my hardware checked, my phoneline checked a telstra technician came and replaced something in the box out on the street and also put a stabilizer on my line at the exchange, would that now only leave the servers at the exchange i dont know?.

any info on how the adsl gets from my isp to my house would be greatly appreciated :)