Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking? yay or nay?

• Please log in to reply

Danmac

Danmac

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey.

I currently am running:

Intel core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz
4GB G.Skill 800Mhz Heatspreader
Nvidea Palit 8600GT 1GB Card
Asus P5KSE Moherboard

I do lot of gaming.. so the question is... Should i tinker with overclocking my system? Will i get much of a performance boost in my games? Does it run down my gear alot quicker? Pro's Cons?

Cheers

Danny

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Overclocking will yeild large benefits to gaming and even greater benefits if you use photoshop, adobe premiere (or any other video editing program), as well as other CPU reltaed tasks.
Your CPU will overclock lots with the proper cooling, your video card, not so much.

Does it run down my gear alot quicker?

As long as you don't apply to much power (i.e. something out of spec) you should be fine if you keep the temps below 60.1*C.

As long as you are well aware of what you are doing, there are virtually no risks involved. But please don't go and overclock if you don't know the limits of your hardware or what you are doing within the BIOS. Before you overclock, it's very important to READ, READ and then when you're done reading, to read some more.
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 February 2008 - 09:26 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
cut and paste this into google search...overclocking + how to
you can start with those links for a little lite reading BEFORE you start tinkering with your system

as for this

As long as you are well aware of what you are doing, there are virtually no risks involved

these are the key words...As long as you are well aware of what you are doing
even then there is a possibility you can/will fry something...
just a little food for thought...

Edited by happyrck, 29 February 2008 - 09:51 PM.

Danmac

Danmac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ohkkk well i use Photoshop and premiere alot, due to my photography company and i am constantly gaming, so it seems like a good idea to do some OC work. I'm not going to attempt as i have no prior knowledge of doing so and i think trying to self teach on google will lead me down a path to KFC gear. Nice and fried. Now that i know it's worth doing i'll ask my tech mate at Bond Uni.

Any other advise relating to OC??

Danny

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Honestly, is quite easy, I'd just put 10 hours of reading into it before attmepting to do so.
You'll see large decreases in rendering time for both photoshop and premiere.

Any other advise relating to OC??

Stay within the bounds of the hardware.
Get aftermarket cooling.
Don't go crazy and try to achieve more then you should, google other peoples results with similar hardware.
Overclock in 15MHz increments.
BE SURE it's 24 hour prime stable. If you use this for a work computer and it doesn't pass the 24hour stress test your computer could be instable, resulting in a blue screen or lock up, which will cause you to lose all your work.
Overclock only one product at a time, don't overclock both your RAM and CPU at the same time, if you ever encountered an issue, it'd be difficult to rule out.
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 February 2008 - 10:14 PM.

Danmac

Danmac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeh awesome!

Great advice everyone. Thanks alot

Danny