Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ram showing up

• Please log in to reply

acehardy

acehardy

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi I installed 2 other 256 pc3200 cl3 dimms in my pc on the base of 256 ram the other slots are not showing up. But if I up any of the 2 new dimms in the main slot that dimm shows up are my slots disabled?

Running XP PRO SP2 2.4GHZ ASUS P4R800-VM BOARD 500W CASE 4 FANS

Edited by acehardy, 23 April 2005 - 10:07 AM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Before you bought your extra memory, did you check the ASUS site for what would work on that mobo??

http://www.asus.com/...vm/overview.htm

Murray

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
who made the ram?

can you point to it? Single side or double side?

If you look in the manual you will see this motherboard has some funky configurations

acehardy

acehardy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi its single sided all 3 dimms and Micro manufaturer. Read manual said even if its double would just downgrade ram to pc2700. But the only dimm showing is the 1st slot could the other slots be disabled?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
If this is the model of the Micron chips MT8VDDT3264AG-40BCB (this is the only 256MG Micron ram your system supports), then it must be installed as a pair in the blur slots.. the ram MUST be identical !!

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 23 April 2005 - 11:31 AM.

acehardy

acehardy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Read the stick says MT8VDDT3264AG-40BGB

acehardy

acehardy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
One of the other sticks is Samsung M36l3223ftn-ccc which is recommended on ASUS. SO why does it only show up in the first dimm?

BePro

BePro

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

"* Installing DDR DIMMs other than the recommended configurations may cause memory sizing error or system boot failure. Use any of the recommended configs in Table 1
*A 3 DIMM configuration IS NOT supported on this motherboard
*In dual-channel configs, always install IDENTICAL (the same type and size) DDR DIMM pair on sockets of the same colour
*Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency. For optimum compatibility, it is recommended that you obtain memory modules from the same vendor"

Tabel 1.
Posted Image

* For dual-channel configuration (3) you may:
* install identical DIMMs in all 4 sockets
* instal identical DIMM pair in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 (blue sockets) and identical DIMM pair in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 (black sockets)
--------------
* This motherboard supports one single-sided PC3200 (DDR400) DIMM per channel only.
* This motherboard may only detect PC2700 (DDR333) system memory when you install two PC3200 (DDR400) DIMMs in one channel or when you install double-sided PC3200 (DDR400) DIMMs
------------------
Qualified DDR400 vendors list
(Table of memory modules tested and qualified for use for use with this motherboard)

Size----Vendor------Part#----------------------Chip Brand------Sides---Chip Number
256MB---TwinMOS--------------------------------WinBond---------SS------W94508BH-5
256MB---HYNIX-------HYMD232646A8J--------------HYNIX-----------SS------HY5DU56822AT-U43
256MB---Samsung-----M368L3223DTM-CC4-----------Samsung---------SS------K4H560838D TCC4
256MB---Corsair-----CM256A-3500C2PT----------------------------SS------------------
256MB---Kingston----VALUERAM KVR400X64C25/256--Winbond---------SS------W942508BH-5
256MB---Transcend---TS32MLD64V4F3--------------MOSEL-----------SS------V58C2256804SAT5

Hi its single sided all 3 dimms...

I believe your problem is that you are trying to run 3 memory modules on your motherboard, but this mode of operation is not supported on this ASUS model motherboard.

If you want to mazimize your memory, I would buy one more module, so that you have 4 modules, and the motherboard is satisfied.

acehardy

acehardy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for info I even reduced the dimms to only 2 dimms pc3200 in blue bank a1 and blue bank b1 cl3 same latency thats what is giving me a headache. Could it be that the other slots are not reading anymore? As only put in 2 dimms both in blue same cl3.

Thanks for the help

BePro

BePro

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

* This motherboard supports one single-sided PC3200 (DDR400) DIMM per channel only.
* This motherboard may only detect PC2700 (DDR333) system memory when you install two PC3200 (DDR400) DIMMs in one channel or when you install double-sided PC3200 (DDR400) DIMMs

OK, I never messed with these new Motherboards and thier specific memory module configurations, but heres what I am getting:

If you can only install one single-sided module per channel, but "this motherboard may detect PC2700 memory when you install two PC3200 DIMMs in one channel....

To me, that sounds like a channel is 2 slots. Now the question-Is a channel defined as both blue slots (or both black slots)? Or is a channel a blue alot and a black slot?

If a channel = both blue or both black slots, then placing your modules the way you have them now should work.

If its the other way around, channel = a blue slot and a black slot, then you would have to place one module in a blue spot, and one in a black slot.

But they dont show that as a correct configuration.

What I would do-
Add only one module in your computer, and test it out, make sure that one module works. Then do the same for your other modules. Test them one at a time, so you know each one works.

If all of your modules works, then something is wrong with your configuration.

If it was me, and I already had 3 modules, Id probably get a forth, and fill all the slots.

But then we cone to that statement again, only one single-sided module per channel.

acehardy

acehardy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for the info I only using 2 one in each blue yet nothing showing up which I think is screwed up I even put the second blue dimm in the first back slot still only reads as 192 (have a 128mb radeon on board).

BePro

BePro

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

have a 128mb radeon on board).

Ahh, so I see two problems.

Problem 1-You should have 512MB RAM (Because you have 2 DIMMs installed)

But you only see 192MB.

I dont know why, but your board is only showing you as having one module (256MB).

Problem 2-Why 192?

Because you have integrated graphics, your video memory is pulled from your memory.

This is called "Shared Video Memory". What this means, is that however much video memory you have is how much is subtracted from your ram.

Ok, so lets say you have 256MB of RAM. Your Video memory is 64. Your RAM would be reported as you having 192MB, because the video card steals the last 64 of it.

My Laptop has the same function.

You should be able to adjust your shared video memory size.

To summarize-You will always have less memory reported than you have installed due to your video.

To calculate, take installed memory minus video memory.

Finally, I am not sure of what the problem is with your Mobo and the missing 256MB RAM. I would at this point contact ASUS customer support and ask them what they think