Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desperate for help

• Please log in to reply

rg3mph

rg3mph

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've spoken with several people about my computer freezing at several intervals. I first noticed it when installing a game that would freeze half way through install. I spoke with the company's tech support, which had me run dxdiag and said the problem was my video card drivers. I have a GeForce 7600 GT OS PCI-Express card on an ECS NForce 650iSLIT-a motherboard with all of NVIDIA's latest drivers on Windows XP SP2 with 2 gigs of RAM (now 1). It got to the point that I kept getting the blue screen of death and had to completely delete the hard drive and reinstall windows. Thought this might help, but it did not. I'm thinking it may be hardware, but wouldn't that freeze randomly? I can pretty much predict when it will freeze. It freezes only when installing a new program, updating a program, and if I play World of Warcraft, it will freeze about every hour or so. Any ideas on what might be the problem or possible solutions? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hi there and welcome to geeks to go

When you got the blue screen of death it would of gave you a error code, if possible do you have this error code?

Another question I would like to ask is did you download the drivers direct from NVIDIA or somewhere else?

Edited by wizzy2k5, 29 February 2008 - 07:58 PM.

rg3mph

rg3mph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I downloaded the drivers directly from NVIDIA. The error codes were actually tied to a memory stick that I found to be dead, which has since been removed. No more blue screen of death, but still freezes. One was IRQL not less or equal and the other that I remember was page fault in nonpaged area. Does that help?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the error code, the 0X00nnnnnn, like 0X0000000A which is typical of IRQL not less or equal.

Is it possible the other stick of memory is also defective? How did you find the bad one? Did you just swap it out or did you run a memory tester like MEMTEST86?

rg3mph

rg3mph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ran memtest86+... The one currently installed passed everything 100%, while the one I took out flagged over 100,000 errors. They're Crucial, which have a lifetime warranty, so I have an RMA. As for the blue screen, I only remember one being 0x000008e. Not sure what description that one gave though. Haven't had any blue screens since I took out the memory though. Now, the computer just freezes when a program installs or when something updates, like Adobe. I can download the update just fine, but when it starts to load, it freezes. Also, ran Western Digitals diagnostics, and the hard drive has zero bad sectors... I suppose it could be the video card itself, but wouldn't it lock up randomly? Also, should I be using the latest drivers that NVIDIA has to offer on their website, or should I be using the drivers that the motherboard manufacturer has listed on their website?

Edited by rg3mph, 01 March 2008 - 03:03 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

should I be using the latest drivers that NVIDIA has to offer on their website, or should I be using the drivers that the motherboard manufacturer has listed on their website

try both

go here and follow the instructions there...to get the updates fix

go to windows update and get all the updates for your computer...
use the custom option instead of the express...and look on the left side for any hardware updates ...get any it shows you need

rg3mph

rg3mph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you guys VERY much. I downloaded the drivers from the manufacturer last night and installed. I've been running since, installed Microsoft Office and played WoW and everything seems to be working just fine. I also am now able to get the Windows updates. Thanks again, I'll be recommending this site to all my friends!

rg3mph

rg3mph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just an update, still freezes, but not as often now... I'm at least able to install a few things, but still freezes...