Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"DISK BOOT FAILURE" Error after installing new HDD

• Please log in to reply

Broseph

Broseph

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Recently my old Seagate SATA HDD crashed after 3.5 years of rock solid performance, so I purchased a new HDD (specifications here) to replace it.
Now I've got the new Hard Drive installed in my computer and I want to reinstall Windows 95 (later to upgrade to XP) like I originally did. The problem is I keep getting the "Boot from CD... // DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER." error when I try to boot from the Windows 95 CD. I know the CD Drive is working fine, as well as the new HDD, because I've already booted the Seagate Diagnostic utility from CD and scanned my HDD for errors. I've also replaced the original SATA cable, and checked my BIOS to see that the HDD is in fact being recognized. Here's a link to the motherboard I'm using [link], and everything on my computer was working fine the day before my Hard Drive failed. When I first built this computer, installing Windows 95 worked fine, and so did the upgrade. Now - I'm finally at my wit's end.

Edited by Broseph, 29 February 2008 - 09:12 PM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
Windows 95 most likely does not have drivers for a SATA hard drive.

Broseph

Broseph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I should have mentioned the previous drive was also SATA, which is what I originally did the installation with.

Broseph

Broseph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
(removed)

Edited by Broseph, 29 February 2008 - 09:24 PM.

Broseph

Broseph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
(removed)

Edited by Broseph, 29 February 2008 - 09:23 PM.