Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection problems

• Please log in to reply

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I keep getting disconnected from the internet. I have a router with my PC using XP wired in and a laptop using Vista connected wirelessly. Every so often my internet will stop working and it effects both computers at the same time. I have tried disabling my firewall and also connecting to the modem without the router (obviously only a problem with the PC connected that way). I have called my ISP many times, tonight they had me reset my IP address and it kept setting it to the same one. usually though they just have me reboot my modem and that fixes it for a couple hours or so. Can anyone please help me fix this?

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi anazopyreo :)

Unfortunately, if you still have the problem directly connected to the modem then it isn't your router, it would be a modem issue/isp issue. It can't be a computer issue since both systems have the problem.

jeffk813

jeffk813

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yep, your modem may be funky. Did you purchase it yourself or do you lease it from your ISP? If you lease it, call them up and demand that they replace it.

Also, is this a cable modem or a DSL modem? If it's DSL, you might try verifying that the modem is connected, and then picking up the different phone extensions in your house. If one of them is noisy or not connected through a filter, it may knock the DSL connection offline. An offsite-monitored home alarm system can cause problems with DSL also. These are a few of the reasons I switched to cable modem service.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When i first got cable internet i had many problems connecting. It got to the point that when i called the cable tech, i had already shut off the cable modem( unplugged it and let it sit for 3 minutes) and shut down my router and computers every time. This way i could say that i had already tried that. They still had me do it a few times until i started calling them by their first name . I knew all 4 of them by the time i got this fixed. They finally called out a expert tech to check the line connections and he found the problem was on the motherboard on the pole the cable line was coming into the neighbor hood. It seem there were some others that had the same issues in my neighborhood. I havent had a problem since although i do shut the modem off about once a month when i am moving things around in my shop.

SRX660

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to Networking.