Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HDD $100

• Please log in to reply

Primevi1

Primevi1

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Does anyone know of somewhere I can purchase an external HDD with usb2.0 and SATA connections of at least 500GB of storage (hopefully more) with a fast read speed, at least 7200rpm? I plan on using this as a way to store large media files as it is an integral part of my media center computer system, so quality is important.

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, something close!

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2421

Personally, i do not trust external drives for anything except short term storage. I bought 4 external drive kits at a auction and used different HD's in them. 2 of the 4 drives have had problems with the file system simply because i cannot keep people from just unplugging them without stopping the USB first. Then i have needed recovery software to get my data back. Maybe you will have better luck.

SRX660

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Well that one doesnt have SATA/eSATA compatibility. I wanted a drive with both usb2.0 and SATA connections.

Also what is better an enclosure with a standard harddrive, or a HDD that is designed from the getgo to be external?