Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Roxio Media Creator 9

• Please log in to reply

dennisk

dennisk

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have Roxio Media Creator 9, full program, installed and running under Win XP pro. The problem I'm having is evrytime I go to use it, I get a message - the trial period has expired - and I have to unload and relosd the program. On my laptop, the same thing happened and after unloading, I could not get my computer to boot even from the Win CD. I couldn't and still can't even get into my system set-up. I'm wondering if Roxio has a bug in this edition. My Dell laptop, running win xp (pro), was running fine when I was going to make a CD using Roxio Easy Media Creator. When I tried to start the program, it came up with "trial period ended". This program is the full program and not a trial or partial program. This has happened before on my desktop and I unloaded and reloaded the program with no problems. This time, with the laptop, I unloaded the program and was told to exit the drag to disk function, which I did. The program was then unloaded. I then proceeded to unload the drag to disk function. I was then instructed to reboot the computer now or later. I chose later. I then exited the control panel and proceeded to reboot. At reboot, it powered-up and then the screen indicated a problem and offered several methods to continue such as continue to boot in the normal method, safe or to a recover. None of them would work and the computer continued to reboot with the same offerings continuously. I tried to boot with a bootable disk to try and recover but it won't let me do that and will not boot off the disk. It just goes back to that same error selection. I even tried to get into my system setup but it was frozen and would not let me in. WHAT IS HAPPENING? And, from the looks of preceding posts, I'm not alone. My computer is a Dell 8200 Inspiron. Thanks, Dennis

Edited by dennisk, 29 February 2008 - 11:21 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi dennisk & welcome to Geeks2Go!

Roxio's 'Drag To Disk' should never be used (nor should the nero equivalent 'InCD'). These type of cd-writing applications may sound great and be very convenient for quicly burning files to cd-rw, but they can cause numerous problems. I'm not saying it's caused all your problems but it has almost certainly contributed in some way.

My advice is to re-install Windows (you probably have a Dell recovery CD) then if you install Roxio don't install the drag-to-disc component.

dennisk

dennisk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for reply and suggestion, which is well taken. From the Roxio website, I've received the suggestion to do a clean installation. This looks pretty comprehensive and thorough with all the caveats of possible complications from this procedure. One thing I've learned is that even if my system crashes and corrupts, I can always get into the HD, retrieve my files, reformat and reload Windows and the other programs. Time consuming but it works and at least gives me a fresh start. Thanks again, Dennis