Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

load needed DLLs for kernel

• Please log in to reply

hisser

hisser

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can anyone help me with this? First I was getting the <windows root> \system32\hal.dll. error. I found this site and followed the directions posted for it. Once I restarted my computer I now get: Windows could not restart because of an error in the software Please report this problem as: load needed DLLs for kernel. I have no idea what to do and I really need to get my computer running. I have my only part way finished master's thesis on it so I really hope there is a way to get it running again. Also the first time I tried to fix it during this part: 2. Enter Load Identifier This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. I didn’t put the full operating system name in which is Windows XP Media Center Edition. Now when the computer boots up I have to choose between Windows XP and Windows XP Media Center Edition. How do I fix that? Thank-you for any help you can give me. I really don’t know anything about this kind of stuff. I would really appreciate the help

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi hisser & welcome to Geeks2Go!
Your best option if you have a proper Microsoft XP MCE CD is to perform a 'repair' install which should get you up and running again without overwriting your own files in My Documents. Go here: http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

If your CD is only a manufacturer's recovery disc you can't use that for a repair install. If you had been sensible enough to create backups of your work and other files you could simply re-install Windows with a recovery CD if that's all you have, overwriting everything but safe in the knowledge that your work is already backed up. Without those backups, only a repair install will preserve your files.

Edited by pip22, 01 March 2008 - 05:37 AM.

hisser

hisser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help. I'll try this. I did have some of the paper saved. I don't have an external hard drive or anything like that so what I do is e-mail the paper to me when I'm done working on each section. The problem was that the error happended while I was still working on my paper. I was actually in the middle of typing a sentence when it froze then went to the blue screen of death. When I restarted it had an error message. Do any of you know why this error happens? I never had problems like this before on other computers. My laptop is only about a year old and I have had nothing but problems with it. This isn't the first time it went bad. I talked to Dell and they said it's a program problem but they couldn't tell me what is causing the problem.