Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Antivirus 2006 - Update failed?

• Please log in to reply

mandilly

mandilly

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I recently had to reinstall Norton Antivirus 2006. When running Liveupdate, I'm unable to update a Symantec Security Software Update. I get a prompt that says "The update was not completed." and the information that I've been provided with is:
LU1812: A program that was part of this update failed when it ran. This update was not applied. Click here for more information on this error

These are the details of the error:
Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

Common Client Core 104.0.14

LiveUpdate was not able to complete this update.

Please contact Technical Support and provide all information displayed on this screen.
For contact information, go to Help->Technical Support from your Symantec product.

The files below could not be updated by LiveUpdate:
-----------------------------------
File: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Decomposers\DEC2TEXT.DL^
247448 Bytes 12/20/2005 19:28:30 v3.2.14.8.
File: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Decomposers\DEC2TNEF.DL^
91800 Bytes 12/20/2005 19:28:32 v3.2.14.8.
File: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Decomposers\DEC2ZIP.DL^
243352 Bytes 12/20/2005 19:28:34 v3.2.14.8.
File: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Decomposers\DECSDK.DL^
63128 Bytes 12/20/2005 19:28:36 v3.2.14.8.

Furthermore, when I click on details, Norton has a help section based on the LU1812 error, though when reading that section, it tells me that the hotfix was not able to correct the error.

Does anyone know how to fix this error before I call and sit on the phone with norton?

Thank you,
Amanda

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I don't use Norton Antivirus anymore but when I did, failed updates were a common occurence. Usually if I tried running liveupate again (and maybe a third time) I would get all green ticks and no red crosses eventually. One of the most frustrating things about NAV is the sheer number of updates it needs to download at any one time, and that coupled with it's large appetite for RAM and slow loading time eventually persuaded me to use something else.

I notice you're still using the 2006 version so perhaps it may help if you upgrade to the latest version?

mandilly

mandilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes, I just updated to the 2007 version for free, and the error was corrected.

Thanks for the help!

And yeah, I'm not a big fan of Norton these days, but I have 180 days left of my subscription that I'm determined to use.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Glad to hear you got it sorted, mandilly. Just to illustrate how much I dislike NAV, my ISP supplies the complete Norton Internet Security package absolutely free with free updates for as long as I stay with them. So I downloaded and installed it -- then promptly uninstalled it the same day. I decided to go with Kaspersky Internet Security which I've had to pay for -- but no regrets there, it's a great package.

Take care

Phillip (pip22)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

And yeah, I'm not a big fan of Norton these days, but I have 180 days left of my subscription that I'm determined to use.

I had this same attitude about 5 years ago when I bought norton system works...fought it for about 6 months before removing it completely...and that was a PITA ( it was about as bad as removing malware)..even had to use linux to get rid of the norton protected recycle bin ...
I consider it bloatware and a resource hog...back then I switched to AVG and still use it to this day...
Norton would have to pay me to install it on my computer...and I'm not sure I would even then..