Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Error (?)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Well the other day, i turned on my computer and i waited a long time and it still wouldnt load so i restarted it. when it took my to the desktop, it popped us this error msg.

Posted Image

then i clicked on technical information about the error report and this was it.

Posted Image

and now like when i click on window tabs on the bottom, it freezes for 2-3 seconds and unfreezes.
is there a problem with the computer sytem?

thanks

Advertisements

hidyjane

hidyjane

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi

Just a quick suggestion (You may want to wait for a better techie).

Once you have got the computer to boot, try checking your system for errors;
Goto 'My Computer'
Right click on your hard drive (Usually 'c')
Select properties
Select tools
Select 'Check now'
Tick both the boxes and select 'Start'

The computer will ask if you would like to do the checking at your next start up. Select 'yes'

Restart your computer and a series of checks will commence, usually takes a while. If it finds system errors it usually fixes them for you.

Hope this helps
Hidyjane

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Sweetmango1

The BCCode data alone doesn't help much for fault diagnosis, but the 'minidump' file created at the time will be more helpful.
minidump files have the extension 'dmp' after the filename, and yours will be named Mini022908-01.dmp according to the screenshot
you posted. Do a search for this file and post it as an attachment, repeating a brief explanation of your problem in the message.
If you post as a new topic it will show as a new post with no replies and therefore more likely to get a faster response, since many of us 'helpers' open these posts first.

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
just wanted to know if hidyjane advice is good?

hmm i'll just post it here cos it'll save space on the forum.

tried uploading it but dmp file isnt permitted to be uploaded

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, hidyjane's advice is good. Running chkdsk is always a good place to start.

How big is the mini dump file? A couple I have are all under 60k and should upload here without any problem. Do you get an error message when you try to upload it?

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
^ did the scan thing, but i wasnt on my computer at the time it finished so im not sure what report or something that was displayed. but now it seems fine for now...thanks for the helpxD
the mini dump file size that mine is 88KB. when i tried uploading it, it just said the type of file is not allowed.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Ah, you could make a zip file from it then upload that and it should be okay.

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
sorry for the late reply...

Attached File  Minidump.zip   23.29KB   119 downloads

...maybe this problem could also help fix my 100% CPU usage?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I can't unzip the dump file, says it's corrupted. What did you use to create it. Try downloading it and see if you can unzip it.

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
hmmm worked for me...i used winzip.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Interesting. Power Archiver could not unzip it but PowerDesk did. The dump indicates a system error in csrss.exe 0xc000000e. A Google search indicates this may be caused by a bad/corrupted paging space. To correct this, do the following:
  • Go to "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "System", "Advanced" tab, in the "Performance" section select "Settings", "Advanced" tab, in the "Virtual Memory" section select "Change". Change the values to 0.
  • Delete c:\pagefile.sys. It's s System Hidden file so you need to show them in Folder Options.
    • Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
    • Select "Show hidden files and folders"
    • Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
    • Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" (click Yes when prompted)
  • Reboot windows
  • Go to "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "System", "Advanced" tab, in the "Performance" section select "Settings", "Advanced" tab, in the "Virtual Memory" section select "Change". Change the values to 1.5 x your installed memory size

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
sorry but how do i change the values to 0?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You have to select "Custom setting" then you can enter 0 in the input boxes.

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
sorry i still dont see it. ><"

Posted Image

???

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I just tried this on one of my other computers and it works but it's cumbersome. A bit more searching found a better way.

Try this instead:
  • Open Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Local Security Policy
  • Expand Local Policies (click on the +)
  • Click on Security Options
  • In the right pane, scroll down to Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile and double click on it.
  • Click on Enable
If you don't have Local Security Policies in Administrative Tools (not sure if this is available in XP Home) you can do the same thing by editing the registry as follows:
  • Click on Start then Run, type regedit and press Enter or click OK
  • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
  • Click on Memory Management in the left pane
  • In the right pane, double click ClearPageFileAtShutdown and set it's value to 1 and click OK.
  • Close Registry Editor
  • Reboot
This will clear (delete) the pagefile every time you shutdown. If there is no performance impact you can leave it this way. Otherwise you can go back into regedit and set the value back to 0 after you reboot.

Before you make any changes to the registry, please back it up. An excellent way to do this is to install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.