Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Error (?)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

I just tried this on one of my other computers and it works but it's cumbersome. A bit more searching found a better way.

Try this instead:

• Open Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Local Security Policy
  • Expand Local Policies (click on the +)
  • Click on Security Options
  • In the right pane, scroll down to Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile and double click on it.
  • Click on Enable

so instead of changing the vaules to 0, i do this right? then i can delete the pagefile u said earlier on?

If you don't have Local Security Policies in Administrative Tools (not sure if this is available in XP Home) you can do the same thing by editing the registry as follows:

• Click on Start then Run, type regedit and press Enter or click OK
  • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
  • Click on Memory Management in the left pane
  • In the right pane, double click ClearPageFileAtShutdown and set it's value to 1 and click OK.
  • Close Registry Editor
  • Reboot
This will clear (delete) the pagefile every time you shutdown. If there is no performance impact you can leave it this way. Otherwise you can go back into regedit and set the value back to 0 after you reboot.

Before you make any changes to the registry, please back it up. An excellent way to do this is to install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.

and i install erunt if i do this process instead of the above one right?

sorry im such a troublesome!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you can do this through Local Security Policies then you do not need to delete anything. It gets deleted automatically when you shutdown or reboot and recreated the next time you boot.

If you have to use regedit to make a change to the registry, it's always a good idea to have a backup in case you accidentally do something wrong, so ERUNT is a good way to accomplish this.

Actually, ERUNT is a good program to have installed, period. It give you one more way to recover from some system problems.

With the amount of effort it's taken to get to this point, Murphy's Law says it won't make any difference :)

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
so theres nothing else i can do now?
not sure why, but my computer atm ,...the bottom taskbar keeps freezing, like it wont let me click on it. have to wait 2-3 secs
oh and also last night, when i shut down my computer, it never shut down. i even restarted the computer to shut down again but still doesnt shut down fully. i had to turn the computer switch off

Edited by sweetmango1, 13 March 2008 - 01:14 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hmmm, I wonder if you have some malware on your computer? csrss.exe is often used by Spyware. Do a search for csrss.exe and see where it's located. It should only be in two places.

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32 08/04/2004 08:00 AM 6,144 csrss.exe
Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache 08/04/2004 08:00 AM 6,144 csrss.exe

If it's located anywhere else then malware is a very real possibility. Go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Make sure you search hidden files and folders when you search.

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
just wanted to make sure...

Posted Image

it seems alright atm...but i'll make sure the computer shuts down properly later tonight

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
press ctrl + alt + del...click on process tab get a screenshot...same for performance tab post the screenshots
NOTE..you may have to drag the window a little bigger so I can see ALL the processes before capturing the screen

Edited by happyrck, 14 March 2008 - 05:11 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
They look okay (csrfss.exe). I have prefetch turned off, that's why I don't have it showing up there.

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Posted Image
Posted Image

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
follow Ztruker's advice in post # 19...one of svchost.exe is using 75% of your cpu cycles ...thats not normal
I'm pretty sure you are infected...if after going thru the malware forum and getting cleaned up you are still experiencing slow downs ...post back here...

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
hmm well i did all the steps and everything. the CPU usage was normal for the last few days, but recently its back to 100$ CPU from scvhost.exe. i did some googling and found out its caused by the automatic windows update thing or something.
and also, my computer takes several minutes until its shut down...><"

Advertisements

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
just wanted to know if this would be a reliable way of solving the svchost.exe issue...

http://loranablog.wo...ved-in-4-steps/

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try it...let us know how it works...

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
^ hm dont think i can do it cos u need to have updated microsft software to disable it, and i cant do that because my windows isnt genuine ><

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I will no longer help you because of this..

because my windows isnt genuine ><

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

I will no longer help you because of this..

because my windows isnt genuine ><

No one here will. When you become legitimate and stop stealing, let me know and Ill let you back in.