Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Maxtor One Touch Problem yet again...

• Please log in to reply

gordonj

gordonj

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am 80 years of age and a mere novice in this IT technology. On the advise of an Internet friend I purchased a Maxtor 200 GB external hard drive. My friend said he was using it and it worked perfectly for him. However on receipt of the Maxtor the software disk provided with it would not work. It would not install. Phoning Maxtor, there then followed several more days of phoning, acting on telephone instructions, and getting nowhere in result. Finally after many calls to Maxtor tech support they eventually provided an online download that made it possible to activate backups. However the system provided and installed would not allow the Maxtor to operate as designed (With the One Touch Feature) but instead set up an icon on my desktop which on clicking it, would open up "Retrospect" (the software now installed) and effect the beginning of the backup. Upon starting the backup this way Retrospect would then take anything up to 45 minutes to more than an hour to begin the actual backup. Furthermore the PC would frequently crash midway during the backup process. It was a complete fiasco. And I never did get it to work properly. Maxtor tech support got fed up with the number of times I asked for assistance, and eventually told me that there was nothing more they could do for me instructing me to take the matter up with the Retrospect software company EM DANTZ. On contacting them, though somewhat better, it was actually the same process all over again. Their tech support arranged for another on line download of the latest Retrospect software program, and their Chief Executive sent me a complete package: disk, instruction manual etc; for all the trouble I had been put to. But it was no use; the odd crashing during backups continued as before. Finally, in utter disgust and frustration I unplugged all. And I have not used it since.

The question I now pose is this: Can anyone tell me whther it is possible to use this Maxtor 'One Touch' simply as an additional external hardrive. Ignoring completely all installation disks and the software "Retrospect" or any other; and then use it just like a normal additional disk drive. And if so, is it then possible to transfer folders and files to that disk in the normal copying way? If this can be done and I could save all my important folders and files, that woud be great. Otherwise, I might just as well throw the Maxtor away. I have not been too successful in copying to disks. Using Roxio Creator 7 I have copied files to disks but find it complicated and dificult to use. Also on attempting copying the system constantly advised that a filename is too long, and the changes th ename of the file. Futhermore to copy all my important files to disks would require several disks; and I am not sure how al lthat is done. For instance for copying MY MUSIC it indicates I would need 4 disks. But I cannot find any info how that is done.

Just registered today. My regards to all...

GordonJ

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi gordoni & welcome to Geeks2Go! I am sorry to hear about all the trouble you've had with your maxtor. I use an external disk but I purchased my own disk and a separate USB enclosure to put it in. Without any special software I simply use it for manual backups using either drag & drop from one drive window to the other, or by using copy & paste from the mouse right-click menu on a folder, a file, or a group of files.

If Windows can see your drive and it has a drive letter in 'My Computer', you should be able to write files to it without any backup software, using either method described above.

Falcon31

Falcon31

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Pip22 Many thanks for this information. I have been trying to reply to you ever since I read youir reply late yesterday afternoon. Clicking on the lon in the advisory email notifying me the reply awaited my attention, on retinrign tot he forum (but not being loggd in) I was able to see your reply. But in order that I coulf reply again to it, I had to log in. And that's where I raninto enormous problems. Entering my log-in details (the only details I had registered with the forum) the system refused all access. So after re-registering again today under new log in data; I am now able to gain access.

I had that idea that I would be able to transfer backup to the Maxtor by the method you describe. So if I have this right: hooking up the Maxtor to my PC say to drive F; by selecting the folder (master folder for all of my music) "My Music" I would then be able to either copy/paste to that drive. Or use the facilty SEND. Is that right?

There is just one other problem: the way that previously using the "Retrospect" software that is uses in all previous Maxtor backups on my PC. O am not at all sure how the Maxtor hard drive is configured. And I do nto know how to re-format that hard drive. I obviously cannot copy folder and files to the Maxtor if it is not formated to receive.

Have I explained this sufficiently clear enough for you to understand? As I told you I ma a mere novice.

Very many thanks,

GordonJ