Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hardware suggestions

• Please log in to reply

Tactical Fart

Tactical Fart

• Pip
  • 9 posts
First off the only hardware experience I have is when I added a 64MB ram upgrade to my Compaq Presario 5000S Desktop (more than 6 years ago) and cleaned out a fan on my other desktop by removing the case panel. I'm not going to do this alone of course, I've got a friend that is going to help me put it together.

I'm trying to build a custom pc and I don't know much about hardware compatability or reliability. I'm shooting for a small yet powerfull computer am am hoping someone could advise me on what componants to use. Here's what I currently looking at:

Case: Thermal Take Lanbox (VF1000BWS)
http://thermaltakeus...b/vf1000bwa.asp

Motherboard: Haven't decided yet. Lookin for one that has bluetooth and/or wifi.

Prosessor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115037

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar GP WD10EACS 1TB 5400 to 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive X 2
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136151

Optical Drives: Can't decide. No matter what I look at someone shoots it down by pointing out some flaw that makes it suck. I just want a dessant read/write speed and at least DVD-RW.

Ram: At least 2 GB

Power Supply: Don't care as long as it gets the job done. Do these things have surge protection?

Misc: Thermaltake 7'' Motorized LCD Touch Screen
http://thermaltakeus...01/a2413-01.asp
Maybe a TV tuner/recorder.

Video Card(s): One that allow the machine to run high-resource demanding games, like Crysis decently. Just on that won't be obsolete within the next 2 years.

Fans: As long as it's efficient.

SideNotes: Remember I know practicly nothing about compatability. I just want a good compact gaming rig that won't be obsolete 2 years after I assemble it. I'm also planning on using it to convert videos and dvds. Also I really want to use that touch screen. Sorry if I sound too demanding, but I don't want to splurge on $1500 worth of hardware and software if none of it is compatable. I just want the rig to be small yet powerfull.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here to the techreport...they have tested components and have $800.00...$ 1000.00 builds using components that have been tested and got great reviews...
they also have benchmark for all kinds of components...lots of up to date info...
even got a system builders guide here..

start with this one...Need help putting your system together. Use TR's handy guide

Edited by happyrck, 01 March 2008 - 11:30 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I just want a good compact gaming rig that won't be obsolete 2 years after I assemble it.

Impossible.

Power Supply: Don't care as long as it gets the job done. Do these things have surge protection?

No, you need to buy a good surge bar or UPS to achieve this. UPS's are MUCH more money, but they serve as a battery backup and will prevent power sags from harming your computer (a surge bar will not).

Misc: Thermaltake 7'' Motorized LCD Touch Screen

I wouldn't bother, it looks like just looks like something that will break.

I highly doubt you'll notice the difference between Ultimate and Premium, I'd suggest you buy Premium as it's significantly cheaper.

Prosessor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

These are great processors, but unless you have time to wait (might be as late as April) I'd suggest looking at another processor.

Can you give us a budget to better assist you?
James

Tactical Fart

Tactical Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
If I had to specify a budget I would say $1000 (give or take 1 or 200). Like I said I new at building and don't know much about compatability. I just want to build a decent compact gaming computer that I can take to a lan party and not get laughed at. If it needs an upgrade a few years from now, thats not a problem. As for games, as long as I can play the some of the newer games at a desent frame rate and not crash or lock up, I'm good, even if I have to reduce the the quality somewhat. I'm basicly going to connect it to my TV and use it as my monitor (It has the VGA port for it.) Besides, I don't need distractions like cable when I'm plaing online. The touch screen is just for "ooh"s and "ahh"s... and so I can tell it to convert stuff withough changing the T.V.'s input settings or stopping a movie from playing, so I guess I can drop it. I'm not going to build it anytime soon though. ATM, I don't have nearly enough money to build it, and I'm just planning on what components I'm going to need, and just need someone to put me on track.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi I made this list for someone else already I think it'll do for you as well:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L - $89.99
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - $254.99
Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 - $44.99
Power Supply: Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W - $109.99
Video Card: XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 - $239.99
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s - $104.99
Case: Antec Nine Hundred - $99.99
DVD Burner: SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R Model SH-S203B - $29.99

Total = $974.92

I wasn't sure whether or not you have an OS CD because its going to cost around another 100 for a descent one.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 02 March 2008 - 09:51 PM.

Tactical Fart

Tactical Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s - $104.99

Total = $974.92

I wasn't sure whether or not you have an OS CD because its going to cost around another 100 for a descent one.

Soorena

I think I'm going to go with this build. I don't have an OS CD (yet). As prescribed by james_8970, I'm going with Home Premium. I also noted, SOORENA, that you recomended a 2.4 GHz processor as opposed to the 3.0 GHz that I was looking at. Does this mean the comp will be slower, or does the .6 that the one I wanted have over the one you presribed superfluous and not need to play the higher-end games, like Crysis? I don't know performance-wise, what indications means it's faster, stabler, or what.

I'm slowly but surly learning what I need to know. Thanks for your patiance.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Total = $974.92

Soorena

I think I'm going to go with this build. I don't have an OS CD (yet). As prescribed by james_8970, I'm going with Home Premium. I also noted, SOORENA, that you recomended a 2.4 GHz processor as opposed to the 3.0 GHz that I was looking at. Does this mean the comp will be slower, or does the .6 that the one I wanted have over the one you presribed superfluous and not need to play the higher-end games, like Crysis? I don't know performance-wise, what indications means it's faster, stabler, or what.

I'm slowly but surly learning what I need to know. Thanks for your patiance.

The CPU you chose was out of stock so I chose that one in exchange. And also the one you chose is a dual core and the one I listed is a quad core. However the CPU you mentioned is better for gaming and it is very overclock friendly, I've seen people hit 4Ghz with no problems.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'd make the following changes to the build Soorena suggested:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119137
It's a cheaper case that'll get the job done. There is lots of airflow and the cable management inside this case is much better.

This hard drive is 15$ more but it's quieter and performs better.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148288

Coasir produces much better PSU's.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139005

Lastely the memory. Muskin is higher quality.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820146673

What are you using this computer for? I do not believe you'd be able to use the quad to it's full potential and a dual core processor with a higher frequency may be to your benefit.
James

Tactical Fart

Tactical Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I plan on using this comp for gaming and converting videos. What I want to do is use 3 partitions and dual boot Windows and linux. One 20Gig partition for each OS and the third paritition for everything else: Games, programs, Media. If I can't find a prog under windows for free, then I can definatly find one under linux. When I'm ready to play a game, I just reboot under Windows and have at it.
Also I plan to use my TV as my monitor. It has a VGA and an S-Video input. All I have to do is change the input I'm using and I can switch between my video games, my cable, and my comp once it's built.
If I could, I want to install a tv tuner for some dvr action, but that's down the road. (Are there any cards that have an "in" and "out" connector built in that will let the comp record one channel, while the tv watches another, or allow one to have two different channels recorded simaltaniously?)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Yup its called AVIVO or VIVO on some old cards. My ATI has it and its wonderful, however you do need to find the right application to use it.

The partitioning can easily be done in the Windows setup.

As for gaming, that computer will handle any game out there now and to come for a while.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 04 March 2008 - 07:25 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I plan on using this comp for gaming and converting videos. What I want to do is use 3 partitions and dual boot Windows and linux. One 20Gig partition for each OS and the third paritition for everything else: Games, programs, Media. If I can't find a prog under windows for free, then I can definatly find one under linux. When I'm ready to play a game, I just reboot under Windows and have at it.
Also I plan to use my TV as my monitor. It has a VGA and an S-Video input. All I have to do is change the input I'm using and I can switch between my video games, my cable, and my comp once it's built.
If I could, I want to install a tv tuner for some dvr action, but that's down the road. (Are there any cards that have an "in" and "out" connector built in that will let the comp record one channel, while the tv watches another, or allow one to have two different channels recorded simaltaniously?)

If you don't overclock, I'd suggest you buy a dual core processor that has a higher frequency such as the E6750.
James

Tactical Fart

Tactical Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So I just souldn't worry about going 3 Gig and just settle for 2.66 Gig? I just want to build the computer. I'm not going to overclock until I have a LOT more experience. The most resource demanding thing I'm going to be doing it playing games, and I want to pick processor that can take the strain without slowing down a year from now.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you want to jump to the 3GHz processor go for it :)
James

Edited by james_8970, 04 March 2008 - 09:24 PM.

Tactical Fart

Tactical Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Cool. Then I guess this is what I'm looking at.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail, or
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Memory: mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) with EPP Profile Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC, CCC - Retail

Video Card: XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

DVD Burner:SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM

I'm currently going with the case suggested by SOORENA, because I was going for a case that wasn't unnecessarily big. As for the CPU, I'm drifting between the E6750, suggested by james_8970, and the E6850 which is just a 3GHz verision, no other diffrence except price. Also going with the memory, power, and hard drive suggested by james_8970. The rest is from SOORENA.

Critisism? Please be honest.