Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error 1606-Could not access network location..

• Please log in to reply

uptown hunk

uptown hunk

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
hi,
I use Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise edition, of late MS Office word, powerpoint, excel, groove and outlook are giving this error 1606-Could not access network location....(Windows installer etc etc) But Microsoft Office tools, acess, onenote and publisher work normally with out any error...On searching i came to know its a registry problem...Plz let me know how do i fix it...Thanx in advance..

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
from your post in the waiting room

On searching i came to know its a registry problem...i checked out microsofts site on this error it give this resolution to verify the registry entries..I checked that one and the 'recent' one was missing so i added it n after restart still the problem is there (i do use a registry cleaning software ie uniblues Registy Booster)

after the restart did you double check to make sure that the changes you made were still there?

uptown hunk

uptown hunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi,
First of all thanks a lot for the reply...Yes the changes r still there...Like now my values r the same in the following subkeys HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

as are give in the table of microsoft help and support topic http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549
Only difference is that the first value i have in both the above subkeys is is Name:Default ,type:REG_SZ and of data (value not set). (This i'm sot able to delete)

Anyone for an alternate solution plzzzz...Life without the main components of office ( word,powerpoint, excel,groove and outlook) is becoming miserable..The rest work fine..I have already wasted a lot of time researching the solution..The problem isnt with Office coz i am able to run MS Office Diagnostics n the results r all fine... :)

Edited by uptown hunk, 06 March 2008 - 01:18 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you're saying that some of your settings are not the same as what's listed on the MS website? but you're not able to delete and recreate those?

uptown hunk

uptown hunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
All the entries r exactly the same..Except the first entry i have is extra ( not given in the table on the MS site)..As i said its named Default, its type is REG_ SZ and data (value not set) . Is it really supposed to be there..??? Someone plzzzz help me sort this issue...... :) :) :) :) :)