Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB ports non-responsive for any wireless mouse

• Please log in to reply

Lori R.

Lori R.

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am using a Toshiba Satellite Pro, A200 with Windows XP SP2 installed. It has 4 USB ports (2 on each side). I like to use a wireless mouse, but suddenly the laptop will not accept any wireless mouse. I have tried the various wireless mice on other computers, and they work fine, so I know the problem is not the mouse itself. When I plug in the USB stick for the mouse, it's as if nothing happened. No light, no blinking, nothing. I have gone to the Device Manager, no yellow exclamation marks. I have uninstalled all USB controllers and Root Hubs, and they have reinstalled, to no avail. I have run Registry Editor, which found some problems of various kinds, but nothing that fixed this problem.

I can use a USB wired mouse (Logitech) on two of the four ports, but the two righthand ones do not work for anything. I can also use a USB microphone on the left side, but it seems to be a bit picky and needs to be unplugged and replugged in if left sitting.

I have turned off the power management feature in the Root Hubs.

I am fairly confident about doing stuff on my computer *if* I have the steps to follow, so suggest away!

Edited Sunday Mar 2:
I have updated the bios on the laptop to no avail. I am surprised that I have not had one person suggest anything yet? I'm starting to think this must be a hardware problem....

Edited again SUnday Mar 2:
No responses at all???

Edited by Lori R., 03 March 2008 - 01:01 AM.

Advertisements