Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8800GT, New RAM, Nightmare, Not booting

• Please log in to reply

idigimpi

idigimpi

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hiya,
I've come to this forum for the usual reasons, I need Help!!!

Heres the predicament:
I recently bought a 8800GT and 2gb of RAM that crucial found as suitable for my motherboard.
Upon installing everything the whole PC just won't start up at all. No beeps, fan movement or anything! Nothing at all - as if it wasnt even plugged it.
The RAM was fitted in fine and was recommeded as compatible.
The 8800GT fitted in fine with room to breath and using the 6pin adapter to plug into some spare 4way thingies.
Everything looks OK but the PC wont turn on.

Here's what I have tried:
To try and find the cause of the problem I have tried changing back to the old RAM - Still nothing.
Unplugging the 8800GT power cables [because apparently even when they are NOT in the PC should boot up but make 3 beeps to say theres a problem] - STILL nothing.

Here's my system specs:
3.2gig Pentium 4
450 PSU
[NEW] 8800GT / Was using a really ancient Radeon X800XL
[NEW] 2 x 1gig of DDR2 Ram / Was using 2 x 512mb
Foxconn motherboard [cant remember the complicated name, and its hard to find out without normal PC up and running!]

Thanks so much for any help you guys can give like!

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
hi idigimpi,

You probably killed your power supply. The minimum requirement with that card is 400w. So 450 with a p4 + other usb devices isn't that well off.

idigimpi

idigimpi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ahh ok.
I'm going to pop the old card in tomorrow morning to check if it works.
If it doesnt it looks like I'm buying a new PSU!
Can you point me in the direction of a decent one for my PC?
I'm in the UK and it would be great if you could find me one on aria.co.uk since I have an account and trust them. I am clueless when it comes to Power Supplies.

Thanks loads for the reply! :>

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I'm hoping someone else might voice an opinion here to be honest. I can say for sure a good idea would be 650w just for scalability reasons. As for a brand I've always bought antec. I'm in Canada though so you probably have brands I haven't even heard of.

Others might have a better idea than me on this one.

idigimpi

idigimpi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yea I'm using an Antec 450W at the moment. There was no bang or fizz [like a lightbulb when it blows] when I inititally tried to turn it on, thats why I didnt realise my PSU had blown :>

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
No.. the PSU didn't blown.. Perhaps since your system is underpowered, it just simply refuse to boot up.. a good branded 600watt should be sufficient for your system..

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371001

this one should be sufficient for you needs and possible future upgrade :)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
To verify that the PSU isn't providing enough power, take out the 8800GT and then try to boot. If the computer still doesn't turn on at all (no fans, no beeps, etc.), then something worse may have happened, like damage to your motherboard.