Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer, unknown process. [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

smellybeans3

smellybeans3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for the great advice, I'll run it tonight and post a log tomorrow :]

Advertisements

smellybeans3

smellybeans3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
The site isn't working for me
Kaspersky only worked on Internet Explorer, but this one is weird.

On firefox, it would open a blank page.
On Internet Explorer, it wouldn't respond, no new window or anything

I have checked pop up blockers, security, plug-ins, nothing

Perhaps we should just cut to the last step :)

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Please download OTCleanUp from HERE to your desktop.
Double click to run it. It will clean up the assortment of tools used during malware removal. When it has finnished, it will ask you to reboot so it can remove itself.

Congratulations, your log is now clean. :)

A well protected computer should have at least an Anti Virus and Firewall, an Anti Spyware is also great addition to your computers security. Here is a list of tools I like to recommend to people that will help ensure safe surfing on the internet, and to help you from getting infected again.
Note: DO NOT install more than one antivirus or Firewall program. They will conflict, and provide less protection, not more. Uninstall any existing Anti Virus\Firewall programs if you're going to install a new one.

Free Online Scans:
Free Active X and Java based online scans. You can use these scans from other companies and it will not interfere with your current Anti Virus. If you find that you are infected, post a Hijack This log in the forums.

Free Temp Cleaners:
Use these tools to clean temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders. ATF cleaner recommended.

Free Firewall Downloads:
You must have a Firewall installed on your computer. This helps stop anything from leaving or entering your computer without your permission.

Free Anti Spyware Downloads:
An Antispyware is a great tool that can help remove infections along side your Anti Virus. Some include real time protection, scheduled scans and automatic definition updates.

Free Anti Virus Downloads:
A must have for all computers. Avast! recommended.

Other:
  • SpywareGuard
    Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.
  • IE-SpyAd
    This tool puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
  • Memtest86
    Great memory testing software.
  • CPU-Z
    This application gives detailed information about your system in a nice layout
  • Speedfan
    Returns and monitors system temperatures.
  • Windows Updates
    It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
You can now Rehide your system files by using the reversal of these instructions HERE

To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections you can read THIS article by Tony Klein.

If you have any other problems or questions be sure to ask. :)

smellybeans3

smellybeans3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks a lot for all of your help !

Actually I have most of those listed programs already.
I'm going to go ahead and get rid of AVG, because I'm happy with my NOD32.

However, some things, nod32 does not pick up (such as the regit). Do you know if Eset Internet Security includes Anti-Trojan, Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus?

Also, what things does the OTRemover remove? :S

Again, thanks for your invaluable help, I hope to enjoy years with my computer.
Farewell!

Edited by smellybeans3, 12 March 2008 - 07:23 PM.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
NOD32 is a excellent Anti Virus program that I recommend, several test I have seen give it highest marks in not giving false postives. I don't know if Eset Internet Security provides those things as I don't use it myself, but if you look at their webpage it is sure to tell you.
Do you mean the OTCleanup? It only removes the tools that I had you install in this fix. Some of them can be dangerous to your computer if used improperly so it's an important step to make sure you do in fact have many years of enjoyment with your computer.

Safe Surfing,
SarahW

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.