Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LCD TV and upgradeing Video Card?

• Please log in to reply

outback_2007

outback_2007

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I have a HP Pavillion Media Center M7300E Series Desktop. And I was useing a 19" Samsung LCD TV and all was good. I just resently Bought a 26" VIZIO LCD HDTV, and hooked it up, and it was doing ok, but the screen was a little to one side so I went into the Display Settings, and adjusted the screen, and got it all fixed.

Then I started to watch a movie on windows media player, and the Screen went Blue, and said Not supported, So I had to hook up the small 19" and the desktop was back, the only way I could get the 26" to show on the my computer desktop useing the VGA of course, was to reduse the pixels to 1024X768 I think it was, but it want fill up the 26" screen, and if I try to set the pixels to close to the tv's pixel resoulution 1366X768 it gos to the blue screen.

The only way I know to maybe fix this problem is to Buy a Better Graphices Card/Board, with HDMI output,and PCI Express X16.

Can someone confirm, on is this right? and What cards will work in my pc with HDMI.

I did manage to find a Asus Geforce 8600 GT 256MB PCI-E Graphices Adapter/Card. Is this all I need. And not bother with useing the VGA Port.

And I'm running XP and my computer has 1GB ram, and AMD Athlon 64

Thanks up front for any help...

Edited by outback_2007, 01 March 2008 - 04:14 PM.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Just wondering, what is the model and make of your current card? I need this to find out the maximum resolution on the card and whether it is known for issues like this.

Soorena

EDIT: Sorry I'm not sure whether you meant that you have an 8600GT or are planning to get one, I assumed you are planning to get one.

Edited by SOORENA, 01 March 2008 - 10:36 PM.

outback_2007

outback_2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I curntly have onboard video, Radeon 200 series

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
It seems to me that getting a new card wouldn't hurt since the onboard isn't all that great, An 8600Gt does not have HDMI output if you are looking for that you should be looking at an 9600 or ati HD2400 OR HD2600 series which offer HDMI. However performance wise the 9600 beats the others by a long shot. I couldn't find a good brand in stock that has HDMI but I found THIS ECS one, please don't buy this it's just an example of what I meant.

Soorena

outback_2007

outback_2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I called HP support again, and they said my computer will support 5 diferant video boards, but the last two was the only ones with HD capibility, Geforce 6200SE, and Geforce 7300LE. Since my computer has PCIEX1 slot.

Will it not support anything better than these two, and who makes the best ones Asus, or Nivida?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Are you sure about this because I looked up you model and it said that it has a PCI-E X16 slot available for graphics. Can you make sure it does or doesn't?

Soorena

outback_2007

outback_2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
The HP Tech said it was a PCI Express X16, or would suport up to X16 not shure.
But I have looked at the PCI slot the black one above the white ones. Right under the black slot, I mean right agenst it, all it says is PCIEX1. In saying that it must support anything from 1X upto X16. That is all I can figure.

HP said it will suport a Geforce 7300LE as high as it will work. Is this a X16? if not It maybe ax16 I dont know.

Heres the Model no. of my pc. EK-465AV#ABA and serial MXG61600KN, it has a Asus ABAE-LE ver 1.03 motherboard, Athlon AMD 64 1 GB ram, XP with ATI Radion Express 200 Series Adapter, thats on board video.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
There are different versions of the 7300LE or any video card for that matter, one possible easy way would be for you to take a picture of your motherboard so that I can tell you if its a PCI-E 16x slot, it is obvious from the look.

Soorena

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there, there's a slightly easier way of doing it...

If your computer is running then you can download Everest Home edition.
Download and install Everest Home Edition
Run the program and then click on Report up the top.
Click Next, select System Summary Only and click Next, select Plain Text and click Finish.
Copy the second section of the report (Summary) and paste it into your next reply.

I'm pretty sure the information we're after will be mentioned in this.

outback_2007

outback_2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I talked with yet another tech from hp support last night for over an hour, and he asured me it was a PCI Express 16 slot, no doubt, he said my computer will handle any video board, that will support a pci express 16, but I'll need to bump up my psu, right now it's a 350watt, he said the main thing is power, he said go for at least a 450 watt. As long as it the card is for a x16 and I have a 450 watt psu, no problems.

Thanks for all the help guys.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Not necessarily, depends what kind of PSU and what kind amp there is on the rails. For example there is no way that 450Watt can support an 8800Ultra. Please tell me your maximum budget for this build so that I can find a good PSU and Video Card in your price range.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

An 8600Gt does not have HDMI output if you are looking for that you should be looking at an 9600 or ati HD2400 OR HD2600 series which offer HDMI.

If the card has DVI ports an adapter can easily be applied to use a HDMI cable. If you want your TV to produce sound the only cards that can do this is from the HD3xx0 series from ATI as those video cards have an onboard sound card.

Not necessarily, depends what kind of PSU and what kind amp there is on the rails.

Do not add a video card to that system without adding a quality aftermarket PSU. The PSU's placed into those computers are only designed for what they come with and have head room for little more.

outback_2007, do you have the latest video drivers for your card? As long as you are not gaming, I see no reason why your onboard video cannot support your TV.

and hooked it up, and it was doing ok, but the screen was a little to one side so I went into the Display Settings, and adjusted the screen, and got it all fixed.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Do you mean that the screen was centered properly within your TV. If this was the case, what settings did you change?
James

Edited by james_8970, 03 March 2008 - 03:32 PM.

outback_2007

outback_2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I got it fixed, I got a Nvidia Geforce NX8400GS, and a 480 watt PSU droped them in and works like a charm. Thanks for the help.