Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

rolltide212073

rolltide212073

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The computer was frozen as I copied and pasted something to ms word doc. I turned it off manually. It now only works in safe mode. Normal mode will not work. It is just frozen. I have a dell 4500. I am not sure what to do to get the normal mode working again. Help me if you can.

Mike

Advertisements

Carmine RJNL

Carmine RJNL

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ive had a problem with that before, so I figure i'd just share my experience.

I had to restart the computer, don't let it completely reboot but turn off during the middle.. the next time you start it up it will say something like, sorry windows could not load properly. You should be able to choose and option that says "Use Last Known Good Config" That should fix it, well at least it fixed mine. Hope that helps.

I'm not sure how healthy that is for your computer, but it worked. lol

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
To get to the menu where you can select "Use Last Known Good Configuration", just press F8 on your keyboard after the computer beeps during the boot process.

When you start your computer in safe mode, it loads only the files required to run windows. It fails to run most background applications and system drivers. I would first check the hardware drivers. To do this, log into the computer under Safe Mode as the Administrator. If you didn't create a password for this user, leave the password field blank as this is the default password for the Administrator account. Click "Start", "Control Panel", and then "System". Click the "Hardware" tab and then click "Device Manager". You will see a list of hardware that resides within your PC. Do any of the devices have an exclemation mark next to them?

Let us know what you come up with. If you don't have a faulty hardware driver, there are other things we can do to work on your problem.

Hope this helps

rolltide212073

rolltide212073

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I went thru the control panel and did not see any exclammation points next to any hardware. I did contact Dell who helped me reinstall Windows XP repair. It seems to be working better now. I may have had too many programs to help clean windows. I dont know if they were competing. Here is the list: Trend PC cillin, spybot, ad-aware se, spyware dr, and added advanced system optimizer. Is this too much? What is your suggestion? Thanks.
Mike