Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disk Drive Freezes Computer

• Please log in to reply

LCollins2

LCollins2

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
For the past few days whenever i try to run any games or anything off of a disk my computer freezes up. ive tried updating my driver for my disk drive but there were no available updates. can anybody help me please??

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
When you say "try to run any games or anything off of a disk", what disk are you talking about, Your hard drive, CD drive or DVD drive?

Also, when you say freezes, do you mean it totally locked up so that the mouse and keyboard do not respond or that just the program you are trying to run freezes?

Try booting to Safe Mode, even Safe Mode with Command Prompt. If that works, enter: chkdsk c: /f /r and press Enter. Reply Y when asked if you want chkdsk to run at the next boot. Reboot and let chkdsk run uninterrupted. This will take a while so be patient.

Try your game now.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did everything work at some point in time...if so try using system restore...go back 2 weeks prior to the problem starting..