Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I've done what I can on my own

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

navyandcream

navyandcream

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi and thanks in advance for your help. Yesterday I was on the net and seemingly randomly got infected by a ton of viruses. I wasn't on [bleep] sites or anything. All last night various trojans were being found by my anti-virus software (AVG) and I kept getting popups all over the place, especially Aurora ones. I ran SPyBot and Adaware. I also did a few free online scans with Panda, Trend Micro, and some other one. I printed out a list of the stuff they said they couldn't fix, put my computer in safe mode, and tried to delete as much of the stuff as I could. Below is a list of the remaining stuff I couldn't delete that Activescan said I had and where it is located. So too have I posted a HijackThis log. Aurora pop-ups and a few others are still around. What should I do?

ACTIVESCAN LEFTOVERS

Adware:Adware/SAHAgent

C:\WINDOWS\System32\lsp.dll (when I try to delete it says it's running)

Adware:Adware/SaveNow

Windows Registry

Adware: Adware/nCase

Windows Registry

Adware: Adware/WinTools

Windows Registry

Adware:/ILookup

Windows Registry

Adware:Adware/Twain-Tech

C:\Docume~1\Stefan\LOCALS~1\TEMP\THI*.tmp

Adware:Adware/WildTangent

Windows Registry

Spyware:Spyware/Altnet

Windows Registry

Adware:Adware/MyWebSearch

Windows Registry

HIJACK THIS LOG

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 1:14:52 PM, on 4/23/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
D:\Stefan\Shareware\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = http://www.cnn.com/
F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Nail.exe
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Stefan\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\i41a5nxc.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: BolgerObj Class - {302A3240-4805-4a34-97D7-1645A0B08410} - C:\WINDOWS\Bolger.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinTools] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WinTools\WToolsA.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download All by FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_all.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_link.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with GetRight - C:\Program Files\GetRight\GRdownload.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open with GetRight Browser - C:\Program Files\GetRight\GRbrowse.htm
O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\IEExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\IEExtension.dll
O16 - DPF: {A8F2B9BD-A6A0-486A-9744-18920D898429} (ScorchPlugin Class) - http://www.sibelius....tiveXPlugin.cab

Again, THANK YOU.

Advertisements

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Hi Navyandcream,

Welcome to Geeks 2 go and join the club of a long list who have been infected by the latest Nail.exe virus.

This is quite difficult to remove, but by working together we shall soon have your PC up and running the way it should.

Please download the following free 14 day trial program.

Ewido

Install it and then double click on the new icon for the program. You can't miss it, it's a big yellow E. It will ask you to upgrade the database. Follow the instructions.
Once it is ready click on the Scanner button, Select C drive if you have more than one and then start.

grab a cup of coffee, sandwiches, book and sleeping bag as this will take some time. Once the first problem is detected ensure you tick the box for all (bottom left) and allow it to continue.

At then end of the scan, it may ask if you would like to delete anything found in archive or zipped files, OK that request, then click on save report. SAVE to the default location, it will then generate a text file. Copy that to post in this thread.

Then download a free 30 day trial of Kaspersky from the link below, install it, scan and allow it to fix anything it may find

Kaspersky

Carry out another HJT scan and post the log back here, so we can get to work on whats left.

Regards,

Usetobe

navyandcream

navyandcream

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the help. I know things are better but the Aurora pop ups are still coming. Did I miss something?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:21:48 PM, on 4/24/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = http://www.cnn.com/
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Stefan\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\i41a5nxc.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download All by FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_all.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_link.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with GetRight - C:\Program Files\GetRight\GRdownload.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open with GetRight Browser - C:\Program Files\GetRight\GRbrowse.htm
O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\IEExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\IEExtension.dll
O16 - DPF: {2F5B39C5-C6F5-447A-A946-48B382C53985} - http://www.pacimedia...ll/pcs_0015.exe
O16 - DPF: {A8F2B9BD-A6A0-486A-9744-18920D898429} (ScorchPlugin Class) - http://www.sibelius....tiveXPlugin.cab
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG6 Service (AvgServ) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: ISEXEng - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\angelex.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: System Startup Service (SvcProc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\svcproc.exe

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Hi Navyandcream,

We have only just started on your log, we still have plenty to do yet.

AGAIN PRINT THESE INSTRUCTIONS SO YOUI HAVE ACCESS TO THEM

Click Start > Run > and type in:

services.msc

Click OK.

In the services window find System Startup Service.
Rightclick and choose "Properties". On the "General" tab under "Service Status" click the "Stop" button to stop the service. Beside "Startup Type" in the dropdown menu select "Disabled". Click Apply then OK. Exit the Services utility.

rescan with HJT, Check the folowing entries.

O16 - DPF: {2F5B39C5-C6F5-447A-A946-48B382C53985} - http://www.pacimedia...ll/pcs_0015.exe
O23 - Service: ISEXEng - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\angelex.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: System Startup Service (SvcProc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\svcproc.exe

Ensure no windows open except HJT and click on FIX CHECKED.

Next in Hijack This click on the "Config" button in the lower right corner. In the next window click on the "Misc Tools" button at the top then click the "Delete an NT service" button. Copy and paste the following line in that box:

SvcProc

Click OK

Go to Start > Run and type in cmd

Click OK

This will open a command shell. In the command window Copy and Paste the following commands one at a time exactly as the appear below and hit the Enter key after each one:

Paste this:

del C:\WINDOWS\svcproc.exe

Hit Enter

Paste this:

del C:\WINDOWS\system32\angelex.exe

Hit Enter

Paste this:

cd C:\windows

Hit Enter

Paste this

nail.exe /FullRemove

Hit Enter

Paste this:

exit

Hit enter to exit the command window.

Don't panic if any of the above come back file not found, just make a note of it.

Reboot in Safe Mode (tap F8 Key whilst PC reboots select safe mode)

Set PC to show hidden files (click link below if you do not know how)

Show hidden files

Using Windows Explorer, locate the following files (if present, some should be no longer present) and delete them.

Reverse proceedure of show hidden files to hide them again.

Reboot PC normally and rescan with HJT and post log back in this thread.

navyandcream

navyandcream

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I did every step except for deleting the Party Poker .dlls (I still want to play the game). None of the files came back "not found" after the cmd process, BTW. I was a bit concerned by this sentence that you wrote though -- "Using Windows Explorer, locate the following files (if present, some should be no longer present) and delete them." No files were listed below this sentence so I didn't know what to look for. Nonetheless, I did a search for all Nail files and deleted them (not stuff like "thumbnail", etc. though). Still, the Nail.exe file kept coming back which concerns me. I know it's still on my HijackThis file too. Isn't that the one that keeps producing pop-ups like Aurora? In any case, attached is my most recent HijackThis file:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:49:33 PM, on 4/25/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG6 Service (AvgServ) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common File

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Hi Navyandcream,

Yeah Nail is a persistant one to clean out, but we are getting there, it just takes a few runs at it, but we have cleaned out parts already, so onto the next round.

Rescan with HJT and check the following

Ensure no windows open apart from HJT and click FIX CHECKED.

Download the following

*Click Here to download Killbox by Option^Explicit.
*Extract the program to your desktop and double-click on its folder, then double-click on Killbox.exe to start the program.
*In the killbox program, select the Delete on Reboot option.
*In the field labeled Full Path of File to Delete enter the file paths listed below ONE AT A TIME (EXACTLY as it appears, please double check to make sure!):

C:\WINDOWS\Nail.exe

Press the button that looks like a red circle with a white X in it after each one. When it asks if you would like to delete on reboot, press the YES button, when it asks if you want to reboot now, press the YES button. So that your computer restarts. If you receive a message and your computer does not restart automatically, please restart it manually.

Reboot into safe mode and set up PC to show hidden files.

How to show hidden files

using windows explorer locate the following file IF STILL PRESENT and delete it

Reverse proceedure of show hidden files to hide them again.

Reboot normally, rescan with HJT and post the log back in this thread.

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
No response from user. Topic closed. Original poster may PM a moderator or myself to have topic reopened.