Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Full System Restore (Destructive) with Windows XP, Errors

• Please log in to reply

eorlando

eorlando

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Gateway Notebook, It's a 2006 MX3701 Model with Windows XP Media Edition Version 2002, Service Pack 2. I recently developed many viruses and trojans on the computer, I installed McAfee after trying many other programs and removed what it found. I still have some issues and one process in particular, spool.exe, continues to try and run and access the internet and it cannot be removed. cftmon.exe also tries to access the internet, even when I've tried to turn it off and sometimes there is more then one of them running. I find this very suspicious. I've decided that I want to start over with a clean slate, but when I went to do a system restore I found that all my points where gone. Only one from the day I got the trojans is there :)

So I decided to do the F11 bit and do a full system restore and just destroy everything! But...
I get this error saying my system restore is incomplete, the environment is incomplete, etc. and then it pops up asking for a CD and my disk drive pops open. :)

How would I go about doing a Full System Restore (Destructive) without CDs with this error happening?
And if I need CDs to do it, how would I get these CDs? (The laptop didn't come with them and I didn't make any)
And once I have the CDs, what do I do with them? do they work by just running them?

Also.. would it be easier to post in the malware section and try to actually fix my computer >.<'

Thanks!!

Edited by eorlando, 01 March 2008 - 08:47 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
On many of the newer machines you have to use the restore files on the computer to make a CD before you do the restoration. I can't say whether that is the case for your machine, but if you have the handbook for it or go to the Gateway website you should be able to find out if that is what you need to do.

eorlando

eorlando

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've used the system restore before and it worked fine and I read the information on the Gateway site and it told me to do the F11 stuff which gave me an error and then asked for CDs which I don't have :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sure sounds like this is something the malware gurus here on this site can help you with.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you get no response in 3 days (this is an extreamly active malware removal site, with a limited number of techs trained to help you, so it can take a while to get to your post), post a link to your thread in the Malware forum here: The Waiting Room

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).