Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help

• Please log in to reply

Antimsaash

Antimsaash

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hi!

I've Intel Duo 2 Core 2 ghz, 2gb ram, nvidia 8600 gt m, 160 sata hard drive... Runnin' windows vista ultimate 32 bit
my computer is running very slow...
1. when i open my documents or any other folder, it takes a while to show up everything also picture thumbnails are displayed very slow
2. when i open a program like messenger live, photshop or any other program - it takes like 40 sec just to start the application (note: not fully load)

What seems to be problem??

Please help
It's a new computer

thank

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
You might want another gig of ram. I was running on 2 and had a few issues. Vista takes a lot of resources before you start running anything else.

Also, check what programs you're running on boot, look by your clock in the bottom right for the icons there. Right click and select properties/options and change the programs you don't want running on boot so they don't run when windows starts.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Antimsaash...

Two GB of RAM is very adequate for running Vista efficiently...I think your problem is elsewhere.

Open Control Panel and double click on the Device Manager icon. Control Panel will have to be in "Classic View" to do this.

Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

With a sata drive aboard, you may or may not have devices assigned to these channels depending on your hardware configuration.

wannabe1

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
You could lower the amount of RAM it uses on graphics in the control panel.

Antimsaash

Antimsaash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Hello Antimsaash...

Two GB of RAM is very adequate for running Vista efficiently...I think your problem is elsewhere.

Open Control Panel and double click on the Device Manager icon. Control Panel will have to be in "Classic View" to do this.

Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

With a sata drive aboard, you may or may not have devices assigned to these channels depending on your hardware configuration.

wannabe1

Hi!
on IDE Channel
it shows
TARGET ID = 0
Device type= ATAPI CDrom
Current Mode = Ultra DMA mode 2
DEVICE PROPERTIES = ENABLE DMA
------------------------------------------
On Secondary IDE channel

There is no secondary ide channel or primary channel... It just has one IDE CHANNEL thats all

Antimsaash

Antimsaash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Is anyone around. plz help
Sorry, if i'm rushin' - just getting impatient cuz' of my problem

Thanks

Edited by Antimsaash, 04 March 2008 - 03:50 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...I didn't notice you had replied. :)

Your primary channel is set correctly. Have you checked the machine for malware?

Antimsaash

Antimsaash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Yea i did, didn't find anything... I"ve lowered my every details for performance n' not appearance... still does the same thing.. It was workin' fine while back...
It's a new computer.. it's not been even 3 months....

Donno what to do , runnin' out of ideas.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you say it was working fine a while back...how long ago was that?

Do you have a System Restore point that's before the problem began? It's possible a bad update may have caused the issue...restoring to an earlier time may eliminate the problem.

Antimsaash

Antimsaash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
may be couple of weeks back but i think i've deleted the restore point when i did disk cleanup tryin' to free up space thinkin' that it might have caused the problem...
I'll try to install vista again, lets see what happens...